Transition your Jira issues directly from smart links!

Tired of having to open Jira just to quickly update the status of an issue? You can now transition Jira issues directly from your smart links, making Jira links more powerful than ever! Simply hover over a Jira smart link in Confluence and click the status to change it :partying_face:.

Screen Recording 2023-06-06 at 1.26.30 pm.gif

Tip: Use smart cards in tables to create your roadmap, prioritization matrix or board!

You can use smart links to bring the power of Jira cards into Confluence. When editing a page, insert your Jira links (either via copy+paste, or search for them in our CMD+K menu), and then upgrade the links to card view, by clicking on the smart link and using the toolbar.

Screen Recording 2023-06-06 at 1.34.19 pm.gif

Always want your Jira links to insert as cards? Simply head to 'Link Preferences' in your profile and change your default view following these simple steps.

The fine print

Your admin might have set up your workflows, so that they show an additional input form on the transition of the status, called a ‘transition screen’. Changing a Jira issue status directly from a smart link doesn’t work with transition screens yet. If your Jira workflow has transition screens assigned, smart links will not be able to show them, and will instead perform the status change directly.

More smart link actions coming soon!

With this feature, you have to worry less about tab-switching and can get more work done in one place.

And this is not the end of it! Soon we’ll be rolling out more smart link actions, such as changing Jira issue assignees and following Atlas projects.

We’re also bringing the power of smart link actions to Jira, Trello and Atlas in the coming months. Stay tuned - and please leave any feedback and comments below :point_down:, thank you!

12 comments

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2023

This is a major time saver and improvement towards limiting context switching when working in Confluence. Thanks for this publish @Andre Mauritz

Like Steve Guyer likes this
Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 24, 2023

This is a great little improvement!

@Andre Mauritz just to be clear: Can I still transition a status from the card view even if there's a transition screen?

If that's the case, I feel like that would break the team's workflow (the way they work, not the workflow feature in Jira) because required fields on the transition screen won't be populated.

Just want to be sure I understand.

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Andre Mauritz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2023

@Matt Reiner _K15t_ If, according to the workflow you've set up, the transition can be performed without the screen, it will succeed. If it can't be performed without the screen, it will fail and instead show you an error message with a button to 'Open in Jira'.

Examples:

1. Your transition requires a certain field to be filled in, but it's empty when the user starts the transition -> transition will fail
  2. Your transition requires a certain field to be filled in and shows a screen on transition. But the field has already been filled out by the user before -> transition will be successful

Hope that helps!

Like # people like this
Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 25, 2023

Ahhh, that's music to my ears! Thanks @Andre Mauritz! Keep these kinds of improvements coming. Love it!

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
August 1, 2023

OK, had to give this one the "shareable, one-minute video" treatment: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/MTVSOAlVyXc
Your details made it in @Andre Mauritz, thanks!

Like Andre Mauritz likes this
Kevin Morris August 24, 2023

Why not just allow embedding of a kanbanboard in Confluence like dozens of your competitors already have?

Tal Levinger August 27, 2023

This is great!, Do you have in the roadmap to create a jira ticket from confluence?

Suzie Ahlers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 6, 2023

@Tal Levinger - check out Use Jira and Confluence together, specifically the section Create issues from inside Confluence. Also, please ignore where it says 'server' - in the Cloud you will see it says 'Select project.' I've internally requested that this language gets updated.

Visual when you highlight text in Confluence:

Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 12.04.08.png'

Visual when you click on Create issue:

Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 12.04.36.png

Like Tal Levinger likes this
Tal Levinger September 7, 2023

@Suzie Ahlers - thanks! Can I customize the create ticket window?(default value , add more jira fields , etc) 

Suzie Ahlers
Atlassian Team
September 7, 2023

@Tal Levinger - You're welcome! At this time, the ticket window isn't customizable - but there are other ways you can make Confluence and Jira work together. Check out the options on this page. Additionally, for Confluence Premium and Enterprise users, there's an action available that allows you to create a new Jira issue directly from Confluence Automation, with more fields recently released.

Like Tal Levinger likes this
Jen Elam October 12, 2023

I don't seem to be able to transition an issue if it is inside of a bullet list which is a large portion of our use cases.

Lucille Coquelin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 21, 2024

Yes, you can transition a status from the card view even if there's a transition screen. However, it might disrupt the team's workflow if required fields on the transition screen aren't populated within the window.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events