Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Table of Contents Macro has a new look!

Hi Atlassian Community,

My name is Tiffany Chung, and I’m a Product Manager on the Confluence Cloud team.

The Table of Contents macro is a highly used feature that creates a table of contents for a page based on its headings. This helps readers find their way around lengthy pages, summarizing the content structure and providing links to headings. 

Previously, the right rail of the Table of Contents macro was cluttered and heavy-handed. It showcased all possible fields which made it difficult to easily navigate and configure your table of contents. Moreover, some fields allowed users to enter any value when there were limited valid values. For ex. you could specify any value for the heading levels when only inputs 1-7 were valid.

The new and improved Table of Contents macro enables you to customize your table of contents through a basic and advanced tab. The basic tab allows you to quickly and simply configure the look of your table of contents through dropdowns and checkboxes, while the advanced tab allows you to further customize your table of contents with more technical and less commonly used fields, such as headings include and exclude.

Today:

ToC (1).gif 

In the basic tab, you can quickly configure your list style, bullet or separator type, heading levels and whether to include section numbering.

Basic tab.png

For more granular customization of your ToC, you can click into the advanced tab and set your heading indent and ToC style with a CSS class name, include or exclude certain headings and whether to include your ToC in exported PDFs.

Advanced tab.png

How to use the Table of Contents macro:

insert ToC.gif

1. Insert a Table of Contents macro by selecting it from the toolbar or typing “/tableofcontents” in the body of your page.

2. To configure, select the pencil icon in the toolbar and configure using either the basic and/or advanced tabs. Any changes made are autosaved.

3. Publish your page to see your table of contents.

For more information about the Table of Contents macro or fields, visit the documentation page.

Feedback or Questions

Don’t forget to let us know any feedback or questions you have in the comments. We’d love to hear your suggestions on how we can make this experience even better for you! If you don't see the experience today, you'll see it coming to you instance very soon.

14 comments

Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2023

About to use that advanced tab every day. Thanks for the update, @Tiffany Chung !

Like # people like this
Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2023

Brilliant! 🥳 I think ToC is the macro I'm using the most, almost on every page I publish. It will be interesting to see the new possibilities with this update. Thanks!

Like # people like this
Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 3, 2023

Well this is nice! Great work @Tiffany Chung and team!

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2023

This is a great improvement to the ToC macro. Thanks for this post @Tiffany Chung

I’d like to see an option for a floating ToC that will stay on the page as you scroll. The ToC is a tool that is not only necessary when at the top of the page, but while navigating it - especially pages that are so large or long that require multiple headings and sub-headings. Scrolling all the way back to the top in order to use the hyperlinks in the ToC is not the best experience it can be. 

Like # people like this
George Kopsachilis
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2023

Great to hear that the Table of Contents macro has been improved to provide a better user experience. The basic and advanced tabs sound like a useful addition for customizing the look of the table of contents. Can't wait to give it a try!

Like # people like this
Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2023

I appreciate this update to the macro. However, the documentation page you link to in your article (For more information about the Table of Contents macro or fields, visit the documentation page.) has not been updated to reflect the new tabs and parameters.

Unfortunately, I included 2 TOC macros on my template (one for headings on page, one for procedures on page) and have made all my pages already. I am now adding the content on those pages, so I will see whether it makes sense to create new TOCs with the new macro and delete my old ones.

When is this update available? I just tried it on the page I'm currently writing, and I still get the old macro.

Like # people like this
Tiffany Chung
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 3, 2023

Hi @Barbara Szczesniak , the documentation page will be updated soon, when the feature rolls out to 50% of our users. The new macro look will also apply to all previously inserted ToC macros.

If you don't see the new experience yet, it will be coming to you very soon! Thank you for your patience!

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2023

I use this heavily... and thankful for the modifications.  Good change!

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2023

Great improvement! I'll second @Andy Gladstoneidea about a floating (or potentially sidebar?) ToC!

Like # people like this
Matthew McGarity June 14, 2023

🙌🏻

Bert Roos June 28, 2023

How do we use the CSS class name option? It seems like a reasonably simple way to implement the much-desired floating capability, provided we can define the CSS class somehow.

Bert Roos June 30, 2023

@Tiffany Chung Would you be able to answer the above question?

Tonie Borchardt March 20, 2024

I'm looking for very basic, typical parts of any knowledge base tool and I can't seem to find them in Confluence.  Which action allows you to show a TOC with the links and titles of nested articles that are on pages underneath the page you are on in the page hierarchy.

I see that the TOC shows headers from the same page you are on, but I am trying to find the functions that show nested pages.  Typically, KB has one for ALL pages nested lower and one for only pages nested directly under the section.  I need both to set up my KB.  TIA!

Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 20, 2024

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events