The Excerpt Include macro just got an upgrade!

Hi Atlassian Community,

My name is Tiffany Chung, and I’m a Product Manager on the Confluence Cloud team.

The Excerpt macro and Excerpt Include macro are popular features that make it easier to include and reuse information from one Confluence page in another. The Excerpt macro lets you define part of a page’s content to be re-used on another page. On the other hand, the Excerpt Include macro is used to display that 'excerpted' (that is, a segment of) content in other pages. In 2021, we introduced the ability to insert multiple excerpts in the same page ( ).

Previously when you added excerpts to a page, you had to remember the excerpt name and type it out yourself. Today, in the Excerpt Include macro, after entering the name of the source page containing the excerpt, you can select the name of the excerpt you’d like to include from a dropdown! Now you don’t have to manually enter or remember excerpt names, saving you time in your editing experience!

Today:

excerpt include dropdown 2 (1).png

How to use the Excerpt Include dropdown

1. Insert an Excerpt Include macro; You can select Preview before saving the macro to make sure you see what you expect.

2. Type the name of source page containing the excerpt you’d like to include

3. Use the dropdown to select your excerpt macro name

4. Select Save to add the macro to your page.

Excerpt Include dropdown (1).gif

You can use the Excerpt and Excerpt Include macro to reuse information between Confluence pages. Any changes to the content in the Excerpt macro on the source page will be reflected in subsequent pages that include that excerpt. For instance, if you’d like to reference your team’s standards and guidelines in multiple pages and keep one page as the central source of truth, you could use the Excerpt and Excerpt include macros to do so!

Note: If you see that some excerpts names are greyed out in the dropdown, you either have duplicate named excerpts or multiple unnamed excerpts. To select them for use, you’ll need to give each one a unique name on the source page.

Feedback or Questions

Don’t forget to let us know any feedback or questions you have in the comments. We’d love to hear your suggestions on how we can make this experience even better for you! If you don't see the experience today, you'll see it coming to you instance very soon.

10 comments

Panagiotis March 29, 2023

That's a great improvement! Thank you. 

Like # people like this
Christie Gera _Appfire_ March 29, 2023

That's awesome. We use this macro extensively. Now, make them appear inline and it'll be 🔥.

Like # people like this
Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 3, 2023

Wow! This is a seemingly small change that makes a big difference! Thanks for Improving existing features like this!

Like # people like this
JensKillermann May 9, 2023

I hope that this feature will also be available in Confluence DataCenter soon.

Like Greg Stanfield likes this
Amit Gabso May 10, 2023

The content in the Excerpt macro - can it be shared between Confluence pages and Jira tickets?

Joshua McFarlane May 10, 2023

This is great!

It would be awesome if there were a faster way to create an excerpt, like select the text, right-click, "Create excerpt" or something.

Is it going to be possible to edit an excerpt from where it's being displayed? I'm sure that's a permissions nightmare but we at least need a fast way to find where that excerpt comes from so we can edit the primary version.

Like Laurie Hickey likes this
Lars Maehlmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2023

Thank you looks great

Ralf Scheller July 21, 2023

Can I find content in the subsequent page when I use the Search Function? Or does the search only find the OriginalPage?

Oleg Andreyev August 3, 2023

It'd be ideal if the source of the excerpt could be a customization option in order to automatically populate the source. 

I frequently find myself appending the following underneath usages of "excerpt include" as a subscript as so

{..[Excerpt Include Content]..}
> Source: {...} 

Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 11, 2023

Just gave this one a little 1-minute video, in case you want to share how to reuse content with a teammate: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/bhFefZu2zg0

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events