Smart Links, a richer way to hyperlink

(Updated October, 2020) 

Hi Community!

I’m Jonno, a Product Manager for the editor in our cloud products. I’m here to announce an exciting editor improvement we’ve been working on called Smart Links.

Smart Links reveal important context about links within a Confluence page (or Jira issue) without leaving that page. View pertinent link information with just a couple of clicks. We currently provide Smart Link views for the following URLs:

• Confluence

• Jira

• Jira Roadmaps
  • Dropbox
  • Box

• Google Drive

• Microsoft OneDrive

• Asana

• Github

• Bitbucket
  • Gitlab
  • Figma
  • Adobe XD
  • Miro
  • Zeplin
  • Invision

We have a whole host of new ones that’ll join the party just around the corner.

There are a few ways to display links going forward, so let me break it down for you.

Smart Links inline view

Hyperlink…but with style! The Smart Links inline view makes your links “pop” on the page. You’ll see the logo from the source of that link, so you quickly have more information about the type of content. When inserting a link to other Atlassian products, you’ll get even more details, like the status of a Jira ticket.

You may have already seen this update in your Confluence site as it rolled out back in 2019. Simply copy and paste the URL directly onto the page, and it will automatically be converted to an inline link. You can also type /link on the page or select the macro from the insert menu in the editor toolbar.

image-20200630-155718.pngSmart Links card view

If you thought inline view was cool, just wait. There’s more! Smart Links card view provides even richer detail. You can see a small preview of the content, plus additional information about it. You’ll also start to see actions added to cards over time. Dropbox links already enable you to open a full embedded preview of your file as well as download it, without ever leaving your Confluence page.

Card view is currently rolling out. If you have not seen it already, it should be coming to your site within the next few weeks.

image-20200630-160439.png

To change a Smart Link from an inline view to a card view, just use the view switcher in the floating toolbar below the Smart Link.
image-20200630-155759.pngSmart Link embeds

What if you never have to break the flow of work (or leave a Confluence page) to interact with content that lives outside of Confluence? Well, Smart Link embed views help you with that!

Read and edit a Google Drive document, manipulate your Figma file and more, all within a Confluence page. Now that’s efficiency!

Embed - Various (1).png

For more detail on how Smart Links works, check out our support documentation. Let us know what you think below!

88 comments

Sven Schatter _Lively Apps_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 1, 2020

Hey @Jonno Katahanas, that looks awesome! Is there a chance that this will be opened up for Marketplace Partners at some point so that we can implement Smart Links/Cards ourselves for other services/domains that we think might be missing? :)

Cheers,
Sven

Like # people like this
James Dellow
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 1, 2020

+1 on @Sven Schatter _Lively Apps_ 's suggestion!

Like # people like this
Jonno Katahanas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 6, 2020

Hey @Sven Schatter _Lively Apps_ and @James Dellow

Opening Smart Links up for third-parties to build is definitely our plan. We've built Smart Links on Forge intentionally so that we can open up to third-parties in the future. We don't have a concrete timeline for when this will happen but we are hoping we'll have something for you by early 2021 (calendar year, not financial). We'll be sure to update our Marketplace Partners when we know more.

If you ever want to chat about the editor's extensibility plans, including Smart Links, feel free to drop a time in to chat here - https://calendly.com/jkatahanas/editor-extensibility

Cheers,

Jonno 

Like # people like this
Sven Schatter _Lively Apps_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 6, 2020

Thanks @Jonno Katahanas that sounds great! Especially nice to hear that you are using Forge internally for things like these, gives me a lot more trust in the platform personally. And to everyone who hasn't chatted with Jonno before, can definitely recommend! :)

Cheers,
Sven

Like # people like this
Kristi July 7, 2020

This is a super helpful feature - can't wait to get the card view with actions - +1 for productivity!

Like # people like this
Ben Jones July 7, 2020

Hi,

This is a great feature. Will it work automatically with the child page macro so that I can create a nice view of all the content items below it? 

Like Egbert-Jan likes this
Leonardo Moraes July 7, 2020

Amazing! I see that links also changed in Trello.

Like Brittany Sudlow likes this

Nice!

Isabella Cheng July 7, 2020

Great improvements! Would be nice to show a preview of JIRA ticket's description. :)

Like # people like this
Kim Wallace July 7, 2020

I'm assuming this is a cloud-only enhancement? What functions have been added to manage these richly-formatted links? Is the approach still individual pages or is there an opportunity to review and edit links at a space level?

Like Claus Westerkamp likes this
Deleted user July 7, 2020

Smart Link in JIRA for JIRA issue does not work however works for bitbucket link as per below :

Capture.JPG

Does anyone know how i can fix  this ?

Rishi Kapoor July 7, 2020

This is really cool stuff , the preview feature is great .

Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2020

This is pretty cool!

In my case I would like to see Smart Link for SharePoint URLs at some point in the future.

Like # people like this
Ivan Demchenko July 8, 2020

Congratulations on great success!

Brittany Sudlow
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 8, 2020

@Leonardo Moraes Yes, Trello boards are pretty cool to put on a Confluence page. Here is an article outlining the functionality. Also, there is a Power- Up on Trello that you can use to make links to Confluence look better within Trello.

Like Leonardo Moraes likes this
Leonardo Moraes July 8, 2020

Thanks for sharing @Brittany Sudlow, that is really cool!

Maciej Gąsowski July 9, 2020

Great improvement!

Andy Burgess July 9, 2020

These are great thanks. But will they be able to show the new view when used inside a page properties widget and then shown in a page properties report?

Big Steve July 9, 2020

Can I have a link that opens in a new tab? 

Like # people like this
Spaceblue July 12, 2020

This is amazing. Is there any plan for supporting server version?

Like # people like this
Jari Hyle July 14, 2020

Great! How do I disable it?

Like # people like this
Tina Hutchinson August 5, 2020

Smart Links is a nice feature when you want links to appear that way on your page. But why did Atlassian remove the ability to do simple inline text links? Can't we still have the option to do that? I don't always want every link to appear in the Smart Link way, which converts my inline text link to the full name of the page it's linking to. Sometimes I need the linked text to show exactly as I wrote it. 

Is there a way to edit the text shown in a Smart Link?  Or at least have the option not to make it a Smart Link but a normal inline link? 

Like # people like this
Brittany Sudlow
Atlassian Team
August 5, 2020

@Tina Hutchinson No worries, you can still hyperlink the traditional way. Simply highlight the text you want to link and click the "link" button at the top of the editor, next to the other controls (or Command+K). 

Tina Hutchinson August 5, 2020

Well, it's not quite that simple @Brittany Sudlow . In your new editor, clicking the "link" button as you describe will also insert as a Smart Link, if you happen to select a recently viewed page for your link. I just tested it and it again inserted / converted as a Smart Link that showed the full page title of what I was linking to.  However, I discovered that if you click the link button and then paste the full URL address in the top field, it will simply convert your text to a link. So that's what I needed, thanks. 

Like # people like this
Vitalii Saienko
Atlassian Team
August 5, 2020

@Tina Hutchinson also you can press Ctrl/Cmd-Z once it's converted to Smart Link, this will make it a blue link.

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events