Resize images now with pixel precision!

Hi Community! I’m Tamim, a Product Manager on the Atlassian Editor team :wave:

I know that for many of you, resizing images in Confluence Cloud has historically felt a little limited, not being able resize images easily to a specific size, being forced to resize to grid handles via hard snapping with sizes being locked to guides, and no ability to resize by specific pixel dimensions.

We heard you and felt your pain; and now we (the Media Experience team) have released the ability to drag images to custom sizes or enter a specific pixel size.

As an added bonus, we’ve added relative visual sizing guides to show when images align and/or are the same dimension as other images on the page.

How does it work?

Resize using the new handle

Resize your tables using the drag handle located on the sides of the images. Your image will proportionally grow or shrink based on how much you drag the mouse in and out.

resize using the new handle.gif

Resize using the new pixel entry

Click the image, enter the size in pixels you want, and hit ‘return’. Simple!

Resize new pixel entry.gif

Use guides to align your images by position or by size

Click on the image that you want to resize, then drag the handle until you see dotted lines that match the image you are trying to match. Release the handle and admire the resized image.

To align a given image with another, drag the handle until you see a dotted line across the page that indicates that both images are vertically or horizontally aligned on the page. Release the handle and your images will now be aligned.

v2Use guides to align your images by position or by size.gif

What happens to my previously inserted images?

Pages containing legacy images, which are not pixel entry or custom sizes, can be easily transformed to the new image resizing format by simply clicking on the 'Convert to pixels' option while selecting the image. The images that require conversion will be indicated by a yellow dot located in their top-right corner.

What happens to my previously inserted images_.gif

This feature is rolling out over the next month so if you don’t see it on Confluence today, you will soon! Please let us know what you think or ask any questions in the comments below - we would ❤️ your feedback and stay tuned for more media improvements coming soon!

13 comments

Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2023

Thank you! I see this already in my instance of Confluence, and I really like it.

This may change my workflow, though, since I was putting my screenshots on separate pages in my Inclusions Library and inserting them with the Include Page macro. They are easier to find and update that way. I may need to switch to inserting my images on the pages themselves.

Luckily, I decided after about 15 pages to write most of my content and go back and insert the screenshots later (since my Devs keep updating the application).

Like # people like this
Les Mitch September 27, 2023

Hi. The change is in our instance - but I am unable to type in the pixel amount I want (as in the first animated graphic). Is there something else you are doing there to have the pixel-input actually apply? Are you tabbing, hitting enter, clicking outside the box?

Otherwise, the handle grab-and-drag works great! Is just a wee bit of a pain to get that -exact- pixel count I want with that feature; would be quicker to just key it in.

Thank you.

Like Dan Tombs likes this
Tamim Noorzad
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 27, 2023

Hi @Les Mitch , Glad to hear you're enjoying the handle experience and sorry to hear you're having an issue with the pixel entry.

Can you please email me directly at tnoorzad@atlassian.com with some more information on how to replicate and perhaps a screenshot or recording (making sure to hide any private or personally identifiable Information). I will investigate this further.

Thanks in advance!

Tamim.

Like # people like this
Dan Tombs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2023

It is great to hear this has come to Confluence. When you think of other applications editors, handling images was always a struggle for Confluence so I am sooo happy to share this news out.

Like # people like this
Michael Junge October 3, 2023

Wonderful additions, both the border option and the pixel-perfect sizing, thank you.

I experience the same as Les Mitch: I have the border option, but not the Size option. Resizing an image by dragging then handles does not result in dotted lines either, when the size comes close to other content's dimensions.

Like Chris Lewis0022 likes this
jan_erik_kriisk October 11, 2023

Hey! I guess I would be in the minority here, but I actually preferred the older solution so far after testing the new one. I liked having adaptive image sizing based on the size of my window/tab i.e going from tab size of 2048x2160 to 4096x2160p and if the image has been set to occupy 50% of the screen, it still does that on the screen size change (currently it does not seem to do that for me). Is there a way to switch between the two modes? 

Like # people like this
Tamim Noorzad
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 15, 2023

Hi @Michael Junge , Sorry to hear you're having issues with the new feature.

Can you please email me directly at tnoorzad@atlassian.com with some more information on how to replicate and perhaps a screenshot or recording (making sure to hide any private or personally identifiable Information). I will investigate this further.

Thanks in advance!

Tamim.

Like # people like this
Tamim Noorzad
Atlassian Team
October 15, 2023

Hi @jan_erik_kriisk ,  The objective was to maintain consistent page formatting as a viewer of a page resized their windows and required specific image sizes for clarity. As such new images will be created with the new fixed image sizing moving forward.

I appreciate your feedback and hope that you will come to appreciate this feature over time!

Tamim 🙂

Like # people like this
Michael Junge October 16, 2023

Thank you, @Tamim Noorzad - I just tried it out once again and now everything works beautifully.

Previously placed images show an option to convert them to using pixels and images I add now resize by pixels. All is good.

Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 11.16.53.pngScreenshot 2023-10-16 at 11.19.51.png

Dave Ung November 8, 2023

Hi @Tamim Noorzad ,

Is there a way to revert it back to % or adpative as we're using a third party app to display pages.

This is causing us problems and changing the way images are displayed i.e not dynamically with our front end as images are now showing fixed width etc.

Like # people like this
Emilio Passi
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 17, 2023

Great feature, but would like to have the option to choose between fixed pixels and fluid percentages.

Like # people like this
Vasiliou_ George December 22, 2023

The pixels are nice, but I also agree with the gent above, it's ideal to specify a % percent of the screen, and then the image can scale based on the user's screen. If you could add an option to be pixel based or % based, then we could choose what works best for each situation and content. 

Chris Lewis0022 December 23, 2023

Use an image editing software like Photoshop or GIMP to resize images with pixel precision. https://www.pixelscalculator.com/px-to-vw/

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events