Resize Confluence tables to any width!

41 comments

Andy Reising November 28, 2023

When I try to resize in edit mode, the table just snaps back to the original width. I can't resize at all. Table resize (1).gifHave tried on Chrome and Edge. 

Rory Baker
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 28, 2023

Hey all, thanks for taking the time to provide us your feedback. I wanted to provide a few updates on some of the topics raised recently:

• Providing a full-width responsive option - in light of the continued feedback on this topic we plan to bring forward work to explore enhancements to full-width tables and table behaviour across different viewport sizes. We will be using the suggestion ticket here in the first instance to communicate and provide updates.

• Drag n drop - we are currently working on bringing you drag n drop in tables! Please keep an eye on the suggestion ticket here for further updates.

• Creating tables in full-width pages - we hear your feedback in this space - thank you. As a result, we are exploring making changes which would make tables behave as follows in full-width pages;

1. Insert tables at full-width / 1800px by default.

2. Insert tables left aligned by default (please note the suggestion ticket for providing more table alignment options here)

We will be leaving this ticket here open to track progress on these changes.

• Resizing of nested tables (for already allowed nesting scenarios) - we understand your desire for this to be enabled, and it’s on our list - we just aren’t quite there yet. To track this work I’ve created another suggestion ticket here, please give it a follow if this is of interest to you.

• PDF exports - @Jay MacEachern I'm sorry but we haven't been able to find a regression as part of this change, however we understand there are some pre-existing limitations around displaying full-width tables in PDFs. Please would you be able to reach out to me direct at rbaker@atlassian.com so the team and I can better investigate with you?

• Tables in templates with a first row having a grey fill - @Phil Bustin if my understanding of your issue is correct, then I believe you need to do the following to resolve it;

1. Navigate to space settings > look & feel > templates

2. Find your template and click edit

3. Select the table in question

4. Select the “table options” dropdown in the table context menu

5. Toggle the “header row” option OFF

6. Save the updates to your template

Cheers,

Rory

Like # people like this
Rory Baker
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 28, 2023

Hey @Andy Reising - that looks unexpected, is there any chance you can please reach out to me direct at rbaker@atlassian.com so the team and I can investigate with you?

Haddon Fisher
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2023

Based on some quick googling, it looks like the new Confluence editor was officially announced on February 2019. 57 months later....

• We're still missing some basic things that we used to be able to do in the old editor.
  • We actually lost a couple of things that made it into the new editor but then got pulled so you could "make it better".
  • Whenever something actually does get restored, it seems like it's either significantly worse than what we used to have or doesn't actually solve the problem at all.

I realize there's probably plenty of "under the hood" reasons why retiring the old editor was a good idea, but at this point I'm getting real 'sunk cost fallacy' vibes here.

Is there a point at which you'd consider ending this experiment and rolling back to the markup editor? It had it's issues, but I recall the list being considerably smaller.

Like Marc Fearby likes this
Andy Reising November 29, 2023

@Rory Baker I got it to work as expected using a private window, with no extensions. Now begins the process of ruling out which one is the problem... 

Michael Woffenden December 8, 2023

RESPONSIVE PLEASE

Yehuda Dembsky January 17, 2024

Hi,

I am facing issues with Distribute columns.
It is greyed.

Any help?

Capture.JPG

Patricia Modispacher _appanvil_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 17, 2024

Hi @Yehuda Dembsky,

did you mark the columns? 

Like Yehuda Dembsky likes this
Yehuda Dembsky January 17, 2024

Hi Patricia,

Yes, It didn't help
Thanks for getting back on this

Yehuda

Capture.JPG

Angie Adams January 17, 2024

This resizing doesn't seem to work when a table is embedded within the layout macro.  it continues to resize to full page width.  I'd like to see better controls than having to resize tables every time a page is edited.

Kieran Lowe
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 6, 2024

This is such a design fail, it's 2024 and I have to look up how to resize a table + I can't align it on the page where I want it. I wish my company hadn't migrated to Confluence Cloud.

2 out 10 guys.

P.s. I don't care enough to upvote issues on your public feature request Jira board. It doesn't seem to reduce the distance between your product/UX design team and your customers. It certainly doesn't seem to help you avoid releasing under cooked features like these tables.

Zoltan Hesz
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 29, 2024

This doesn't seem to work if the table is within a macro, like a layout.
At all.
The new tables are a nightmare to work with. 

Derek Price
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 12, 2024

Yeah, this is really ugly.  I hate it and I miss the old responsive behavior.  I want my table to expand to fill the available width.  Now, when I open it to full width, then shrink the browser, I get scroll bars.  I want to work with my full, large, monitor and be confident that my users will still see it at the 100% width I intended, not at 110% or 200% or whatever.  Ugh!  This isn't a feature - it's a bug!

Like # people like this
Mike Nacey
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 24, 2024

This is a great example of a derp moment. The old table editor had these capabilities. It's just about less frustrating to create similar content in Markdown (which should compel shame).

It's a shame that Atlassian spends so much effort in constantly changing the UX of things that were fine instead of doing something valuable, like, for instance creating PII planning board functionality or making its project/portfolio management features good.

Marc Fearby
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 7, 2024

How do I make the table fill the entire width of the page, no matter what size my browser is?

Shouldn't there be an option to "Make table full-width" the same as there is for the page itself?!

Derek Price
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 8, 2024

This may only be a problem with the preview in the editor.  After I saved the page, everything worked like I hoped it would.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events