Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance Improvements for Comments

I’m Rich Gomez, an engineer on Confluence Cloud focused on improving how teams collaborate together in Confluence.

Over the last few months, a team of engineers and myself have been working on improving the performance of the inline and page commenting experience. I wanted to give you all a behind-the-scenes look at our work and how we’re making your commenting experience faster and more reliable.

Why comments?

We heard from you, and experienced ourselves, some of the performance issues of comments including slow load times or loss of work. Sometimes small, but annoying nonetheless.

We want to make sure comments were more reliable and faster for you. Plus, we want the architecture to provide us a smooth runway to more quickly ship new features as well as identify and resolve bugs faster.

How have comments improved?

Thanks to all the hard work under the hood, we improved the following experiences:

• If you accidentally resolve a comment, you can undo it immediately

• Pages will no longer reload when you re-open resolved comments

• If you navigate to another page in the middle of crafting a comment, you will be guided to make a choice to continue typing or lose the content when navigating away

• Email notifications of a new comment will link directly to focus on the page’s specific comment so you can reply faster.

• Inline comment highlights will always show up immediately when viewing a page and will load much faster

• Permissions more accurately reflect commenting capabilities

What’s next?

With all these codebase improvements we expect to find and resolve bugs faster as well as build brand new features, quicker. We’re already building on this foundation to build new features that help teams interact with each other around content and express their opinions.

We’d love to hear your feedback on these improvements. We look forward to sharing more updates on how our engineering team is solving important technical challenges like these to help you collaborate more effectively in Confluence.

-Rich Gomez

2 comments

Deleted user November 10, 2020

Great job meanwhile for the effort and commitment that you put every day to improve the product.

I saw that you are finally finalizing my request to be able to view comments online even while editing a Confluence page (in Confluence cloud).

It is a very important feature and I assure you that all the clients that I follow on behalf of my employer, ask for this feature.

Another feature that many users, at least Italian users, ask for is to be able to "chat" while writing the document. In short, the closer you can get to the excellence and simplicity of google documents, the better for Confluence.

Like # people like this
John Gray November 19, 2020

This is good news. Will this be coming to Confluence Server as well? We have a WIki we review every week, and add new comments and resolve old ones.  Works great in this "work from home" envoronment of 2020.  But, we've found when there are a few hundred resolved comments, the page loads slowly and takes even longer for the comment highlights to show up (a minute or more).  There is no way to delete the old comments so every once in a while we have to rename the page and create a new one, and copy the old contents over, just to clean out resolved comments.  

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events