New to Confluence Cloud? Let’s turn the tables!

If you are a Confluence Server user, your first 1-on-1 meeting with Confluence Cloud will be memorable. I remember staring into the screen with thoughts similar to "They took everything from me!" and "This approach is way TOO modern." But then, duty calls, no time for moaning if you want to get the job done.

The new Confluence Editor is like a new box for an old cat - you first need to observe the things a little bit, then jump to explore all the new features.

How the new Confluence Cloud Editor is handling tables

Each of my million pages has at least one table, and I can navigate through the table menu with my eyes closed. Remember the Server experience? When you initially create a table, a drop-down menu appears, and you can customize it with your desired dimensions. The only thing you can change physically on your existing table is dragging the borders left and right if you prefer fixed widths.

confluence-cloud-editor-tables-server.png

The new experience is entirely different. The second thing you'll notice, after the surprise of auto-creating a symmetric responsive table after a push of a button, is the fear of not having a drop-down. 

And now what!?

Part of the massive functional redesign is allowing the user to add it's desired features directly to the table with 100% visibility of the results, no vision distractions from continually moving your sight from table to menu to table. Being able to focus on your elements instead of what icon to click to add heading column is a very comforting feeling.

Masters of Order - finally, our time has come! Having non-equal columns in my tables was a massive pain for me. The new table is always fully responsive and resized to perfection, no matter your efforts to make it a mess.

confluence-cloud-editor-tables-cloud.png

Adding additional rows and columns - never been easier!

You now can add rows and columns with the speed of light (as well as remove them). With the transparent navigation and dropdown on each click, the new editor is leaving nothing to chance. Yes, it takes some time for you to adapt to the building block structure, but once you've jumped on this train, there is no turning back.

confluence-cloud-editor-tables.jpg

Fully customizable 

Unleash your creativity with the new table customization options. Highlight, mark, or send your colleagues a message, as simple as that:

confluence-cloud-editor-tables-customize.png
Test for yourself and make your next team report better! :)

5 comments

Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2019

@Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_ Nice run-down of the tables in cloud! Thanks for sharing! -pjd

Like # people like this
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2019

Thanks, @Peter DeWitt ! :) Very welcome.

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Xavier Ferro
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 12, 2019

For me, the killer is the slash command: /table .

Once you start working with / your productivity boosts because toolbar causes too much distraction.

Like # people like this
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2019

Especially if you are a professor! @Xavier Ferro ;)

Like # people like this
Robert Brown November 14, 2019

Beware to everyone. Confluence has decided to not include undefined links in the new editor. Ask yourself, do you value wiki functionality. Did you purchase a wiki? Do you build page structure out ahead of time and click the red links to create pages? You can no longer do this in the new interface and confluence has determined this is a 'suggestion' and not a core feature. I agree, Atlassian, let our voices be heard! Bring back core wiki functionality.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-67129

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events