New! Emojis in page titles & page header images 🥳 🖼

Hello Community,

I’m Eric Le, here with @Lulu Wang, and we are two frontend engineers who are on the Confluence Cloud Content Experience team. We’ve been working to bring you two exciting new features that will help spice up your content — emojis in page titles and header images in pages! Simply hover over the title to add one or the other.

1.png

Add an emoji to a page title or blog

You can add emojis to titles of pages and blog posts! Instead of just plain text titles, you now can choose an emoji that relates to what the content of the page is about.

You can select an existing emoji or add your own custom one via the “Add your own emoji” button. Swap out or remove it if you change your mind.

An added bonus is the emoji appears in the page tree or top navigation. This makes it SO much easier to find, categorize, and organize content in your home page or page tree.

2.png

Add a header image

Have you ever wanted to add an image that represented the contents of your page or just wanted your page to look cooler and more exciting? Now you can!

Simply hover over the title and select Add header image to choose your header image.

Select from a huge header image library from Unsplash

Don’t have a photo on hand to upload? No worries, we’ve partnered up with the team at Unsplash to bring you high-quality images that you can add on the fly. Search for the keyword you want and Unsplash will give you a variety of high-quality images you can choose from to add to your page!

3.png

Add a custom header image and reposition

You can always upload your own image to a page, like your company’s logo or your cat doing something cute 😽

You can also reposition the image within the header area to precisely show what you want.

4.png5.png

Both features — emojis in the page title and header image — are still rolling out so if you don’t see them on your Confluence Cloud instance today, you should soon. We hope you enjoy these new features! Leave any comments or questions below.

69 comments

Danni Chen August 18, 2021

It is cool!

Like # people like this
Paweł Mikołajczuk
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 22, 2021

All my blog posts have emojis now! Thanks TEAM! 

Like # people like this
RJ Gazarek
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 23, 2021

As I'm sure many of you can imagine, we got to test this out internally, and it really is fantastic!  It's things like this that just had a bit more creativity and fun to your pages! And can really add a sense of atmosphere, a banner of a bunch of balloons for a celebration post goes a long way :D 

Like # people like this
Annika August 23, 2021

Love it, really cool and used it a few times yesterday.

Buuuut, where have they gone? All the header images have disappeared :(

Martina Welander August 24, 2021

Very happy to see this feature live - thank you! 🎉

Like Lulu Wang likes this
Eric Le
Atlassian Team
August 24, 2021

@Annika we are still in the process of rolling out both emojis and cover picture which expect to be completed by September 6th. If you had seen it and no longer was able to, it could be due to the glitches during the roll out. As we roll out to more customers in the coming days, you should be able to see both emoji/cover pictures features in the editor. 

Like Annika likes this
Milad S_ August 26, 2021

Hi @Eric Le and @Lulu Wang 

It is very exciting that you are adding a header image. 

I noticed that the header image does not display in Jira Service Mnagamget Portal for a space that is connected to the portal. It would be great if you consider this as created https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-10311.

The use case for us is having some official header image to differentiate policies from other articles in the portal.

Cheers, Milad

Like # people like this
Lulu Wang
Atlassian Team
August 27, 2021

Hi @Milad S_

Thanks for the feedback! I'll bring that up with our team :) 

Jose Gascon August 29, 2021

Are the emoji and page image available via the Confluence API?

Like # people like this
Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 30, 2021

Oh yes, API access to both would be very handy!

Like Lukas Gotter _ Meetical likes this
Carlos Moran - Global Tech Lead NAM August 30, 2021

Would anyone know the best dimensions to use for header images? 

Like # people like this
Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 31, 2021

@Carlos Moran - Global Tech Lead NAM

It looks like the max width on the element in the page is 760px. It can be any high, because you have the option to select what part of the image you want visible. It looks like it displays a max hight of 140px.
So I'd say a minimum of 760 X 140px.

Like # people like this
javodev September 1, 2021

I really love this feature!

Thank you so much!

emoji title confluence.png

Lulu Wang
Atlassian Team
September 1, 2021

Hi @Jose Gascon
I don't believe we have the emojis and cover pics currently available in the Confluence API but look out for it in the future :) 

Like # people like this
Jose Gascon September 2, 2021

Thanks @Lulu Wang for the answer.e

It will be great to have those kind of features fully aligned between the API and frontend in the roadmap.

Like # people like this
Tracy Nagel September 3, 2021

Thank you!

Tami Dubi September 8, 2021

Hi 

Very cool features.
1. Are you going to change and modernize the way the header works in a space "look and feel". Currently, what I found in the documentation is that it took only GIF images and for some reason, it is very difficult  to implement
2. Is there a way to use customize emojis?
3. Are you going to implement this change in templates? it will improve templates to the next level
Thanks,

Tami

Lulu Wang
Atlassian Team
September 8, 2021

Hi @Tami Dubi
1. Not sure what you mean by modernizing the look and feel of the header images and that it only takes GIFs? Could you please elaborate? 
2. Yes there should be an option to upload your own emoji if you open the emoji picker!
Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 12.09.13 PM.png
3. As of now, there are no plans to add header images to templates.

Tami Dubi September 8, 2021

Hi, 

Thanks for the quick response.
in space settings=> look & feel=>header &footer,  there is an option to add a picture in the header for all the pages in the space.
On the page, there is a link to documentation that explains how to add the picture. from what I understood the only way is to add gif format. 
+ what are the rules when you have a space header picture and a page picture together?
link to the documentation: https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/insert-confluence-wiki-markup/

Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2021

Wow! This is very cool. Thank you.

Is there a plan to extend the height of the banner image to more than 140px? It seems a little mean to have such a small height, whereas the width can be full screen. 

Like # people like this
Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
September 9, 2021

💡 Hey, I just featured the the page header in our recent video on how to make affective/beautiful Confluence pages: https://youtu.be/9H6PNsnMEvM

Like # people like this
Lulu Wang
Atlassian Team
September 9, 2021

@Tami Dubi The examples in the documentation are listed as gifs but you can add any image format too like jpg, png, etc. There are no rules for having a space header picture and page picture together. The image from the look and feel will just get stacked on top of the header image. 

Lulu Wang
Atlassian Team
September 9, 2021

@Mike Bowen  Thanks for the feedback! I don't believe we currently have any plans to extend the height of the banner to more than 140px as this height was initially decided by our designer. I'll pass this feedback along to him though :) 

Like Mike Bowen likes this
Rose Eliff September 14, 2021

Are the header and emoji only available in the Fabric editor? I don't see them available in the legacy editor. (We have to use the legacy editor due to the image resizing and image border issues.)  

Eric Le
Atlassian Team
September 14, 2021

@Rose Eliff Emoji and header images are currently only supported in the new editor.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events