New! Customizable panels to make your pages pop 💥

Hi Atlassian Community,

My name is Sekajipo Taplah, and I’m a Product Manager on the Confluence Cloud team.

Panels are a popular feature that enable you to highlight important pieces of information on a Confluence page. We know that many of you have been limited by the lack of customization for panels. We’re happy to let you know that has changed.

You can now customize your panels! Add or remove any emoji and choose from an array of background colors.

Using color and emojis in your panels is one of the best ways to create easy-to-read, skimmable pages. You can grab your audience’s attention and draw them to key callouts, TL;DRs, risks, successes, disclaimers, and much more.

giff.gif

How to get started:

1. Add a panel to a page by typing  / custom panel or by selecting Custom panel from the insert menu.

2. Use the floating toolbar to choose a background color and pick an emoji if you want one.

Check out some of the ways the Atlassian team has already used customizable panels. 

1.png

We that hope you enjoy this new functionality and use it to customize your Confluence pages! As always, please don't hesitate to give us feedback in the comments. 

EXTRA CREDIT — Share a screenshot of how you’re using customizable panels in the comments below. You’ll receive a colorful Confluence gift, and we hope it always reminds you of panels!

49 comments

Paweł Mikołajczuk
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 14, 2022

Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 15.00.24.png

Customizable panels are great for bringing reader attention! 

Like • # people like this
Amanda Quinn March 15, 2022

I don't see these options - Is it because I'm on a free account? What level do I need to purchase to get access to custom panels?

Also, do the custom panels allow you to remove the icon? (i.e. if I just want a blue box with no i, could I do that?

Merrill Oates DA Admin_Own March 15, 2022

Looks like it could be a step in the right direction ... after a long, long wait ... but still seems rather limited in flexibility (only the limited color pallet?)

And, like Amanda says, it doesn't seem to be available on our Cloud instance.

Shri March 15, 2022

Not available on our Cloud instance either. Not sure how the rollout for these features goes.

Like • Amanda Quinn likes this
Sekajipo Taplah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 16, 2022

Hi @Shri , @Merrill Oates DA Admin_Own 

we're currently at 50% rollout. You'll be seeing the feature within the next few weeks if you're not in the earlier instances!

Sekajipo Taplah
Atlassian Team
March 16, 2022

@Amanda Quinn Yes! you can have panels without icons/emojis ! The screenshot attached has blank panels and other examples 

Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 12.10.45 AM.png

Haddon Fisher
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2022

To be clear, this is the old "info panel" and not the "panel" macro correct?

Emilio Galasso March 21, 2022

I added a bunch of info panels to my page using custom emoji and a selected colour.  On the published page there are no icons -- only boxes in the selected colour.  However, once I return to the editing page I now see this for each of my panels:

paneltest01.jpg

They no longer act like a info panels.  None of the normal info panel options are available.  If I publish without touching it, it's still just a green box.  Going to be fun having to re-do all these info panels now.

Tried it with a custom but built-in emoji and there was no icon on the published page and it's no longer an info panel when editing.

Tried a panel with the icon/emoji removed and it's no longer an info panel when I return to editing.

The standard info/note/warning/error info panels work fine.

None of my custom emoji in my headings are appearing in my table of contents either.  Relying on emoji for in-line images was already a pain.  It's just turning into a very frustrating experience trying to get some fairly basic things done.

Sekajipo Taplah
Atlassian Team
March 22, 2022

Hi @Emilio Galasso thank you for informing us and sorry for the trouble!  We're currently investigating the issue with our engineering team. 

Like • Elena.Bresciani likes this
Sekajipo Taplah
Atlassian Team
March 23, 2022

Hi @Emilio Galasso the bug should be fixed now, let me know if you're still running into an issue :) & I'll see what additional adjustments we can make & open a support thread

Elena.Bresciani March 24, 2022

Hi @Sekajipo Taplah would it take some time to have the fix applied to all cloud instances? Cause I still see the bug.

Patrizia March 24, 2022

I really try to accept, that we will never get back the real panel, that the community asked for, where we could have colors and borders of our choice, fitting to the company identity. But why are the colors even here limited and not even dark colors are available, like in the menu? Dark red, dark grey. Where are the dark colors?! Dark banners with white text looks much more elegant than these pastel rainbow colors. Could you at least put some dark colors to the panels! Please!

When will be the panels available? We have to delete all old panels in our cloud version, cause they are not working anymore. And we are just waiting to start with it, as soon as the "new" panels are available.

Dave Collins March 24, 2022

Nope. Not working at all...

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 11.41.04 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-24 at 11.40.40 AM.png

Sekajipo Taplah
Atlassian Team
March 24, 2022

Hi ! @Dave Collins it hasn't been rolled out to 100% of organizations yet. We're still currently at 50% rollout!

Sekajipo Taplah
Atlassian Team
March 24, 2022

@Elena.Bresciani , @Emilio Galasso The engineering team just made some changes. Let me know if it's working for you now

Emilio Galasso March 24, 2022

@Sekajipo TaplahIt was not working last night or earlier today (was giving it time to propagate).  But I just checked just now and it appears to be working!  My custom emoji are now appearing as part of the panel and I am now able to properly edit the panel afterwards.  Existing pages still show the error but it is corrected by simply re-publishing them so thankfully no need to re-create all the panels.  Thank you!

Probably not a bug you're responsible for -- but custom emoji are still broken in the Table of Contents.  For some reason, some people can see them after a couple of page refreshes but others (like me) never see them.

Elena.Bresciani March 25, 2022

@Sekajipo Taplah yep! it works now :)

Sekajipo Taplah
Atlassian Team
April 7, 2022

@Dave Collins we're rolled out to 100% now! you should have access to the feature

Jonathan Parsons April 11, 2022

@Sekajipo Taplah I don't have access to the new panel feature (see below). 

Note: Our company is confluence cloud on atlassian.net. 

Also is this feature available in the editor when creating/editing Confluence Templates too please?

In editor I can only see this when I select "/custom panel" 

Picture1.png

Similar to when I Browse/Search for custom panels I can only see Info, Note, Error etc. Screenshot 2022-04-11 150308.png

Siddhit Sanghavi April 19, 2022

Can we have custom panels as macros? I've made one with a hatching egg in a red panel to show a doc is very new. If someone wanted to use that, can I have a /just_born and it shows up?

kristine.daniels April 21, 2022

Will this be available in JIRA as well?

Dave Collins April 21, 2022

@kristine.daniels First, Jira (not JIRA, it's not an acronym). You are asking for the /panel to be usable in an issue description? That's already there.

@Dave Collins , I asking if custom panels will be available in Jira.  I don't see that option yet.

Like • Dave Collins likes this
Dave Collins April 21, 2022

Panels are there, but not custom. I, personally, don't see that need in a Jira issue. But support you if you have that need.

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 2.18.58 PM.png

Need?  no, but I'd definitely use them if they were available like they were with the on-prem version.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events