Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual Test case management with Confluence

Out of all manual test management tools out there here is a cool way to manage your manual test cases with confluence. In below structure you engage as many number of testers with your and generate final test results super-duper easily without outing effort after test execution.

Page structure

Page structure.png

For a single test plan here I have used a page tree. As on above example this is a test plan created to use in JIRA version upgrade.

Parent page of this page tree contain a summary about the entire test plan which can be listed as Test case base test results at the moment, test results in a graphical view and common instructions to use the test plan.

Under that the test cases are divided based on assignee. But the logic to divide/list test cases could be defined as your wish.

Under each assignee there are test cases that are allocated to each tester.

Instructions for testers and other details like, pre/post task list, task and time plan, test analytics, test approach and trace-ability matrix are available next.     

Single Test case 

Single Test case.png

Inside single test case page, there are two tables. The first table contain general information about the test case. And that table is included inside a page property macro to use some information in summary results pages.

The other table contains test steps and results. Also you may noticed results section has 2 separate columns; by adding check boxes (tasks) it is easier for testers to mark step results. So that testers have to edit the page only once just to enter final results for the test case.

Test suit allocated based on tester

Test suit allocated based on tester.png

Parent page for each tester contains summery results of test cases that are allocated to that specific tester. It is really easy to find out test allocations and results using this page. Content to this page is generated through Page property report which extracts information from single test case pages.

Summary and final test results

summary.png

As same as Assignee summary page; summary page (parent page of entire test plan) contains results summary which generates information through page property reports macro. To get a quick overview a chart macro is included there. Best thing about this is that testers do not need to spend time after testing to collect results and generate reports; the report generates automatically every time a tester updates test results for a single test case.

Test approach and other details

Test approach and other details.png

A separate page tree inside main page tree for the test plan is created to include test detail information pages. Inside this page tree Pre/Post task list info, task and time plan, test analytics, test approach information and traceability matrix sections are included in separate pages.

Test approach and other details2.png

Also an instructions page for testers are included inside the test plan page tree. I usually takes help from my other team mates who are not Testers. It is easier this way to provide instructions in a page so that they don’t want to chase me to ask how to use this test plan 😊

Test log

We usually use some of our test plans over and over again. Since our manual test plans are now migrated to Confluence it is super easy to update test cases.

As I said before we use the same test case multiple times. Therefore it is very important to keep track on previous test attempts. To achieve this; we could use a confluence page. Executed date, final results and remarks can be enter.

Hope this way of managing your manual test cases gave you a boost and you are welcome to explore on your own and develop this concept J

-Alana 😊-

39 comments

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2018

Hi! 

That's sounds good. Do you use for tracking test cases Jira and aggregate in Confluence through Jira issue macro and graphs? 

If it is not correct, how do you aggregate the test cases, and generate graphs? And why you don't use the test plan (test set) -> test cases ->steps the Jira? 

Cheers,

Gonchik Tsymzhitov

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2018

Hi

If I want to reuse test cases, is there any good advice?

Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2018

Good question @Gonchik Tsymzhitov 😊. In this method I haven't use Jira for test management. Also correct me if I am wrong but jira required configuration changes or a third party app to achieve test management.

this is just a very simple and a basic way you can follow with Confluence to manage your manual test cases.

hi @Ollie Guan if you are using this method, as I suggested you can keep a test log page to track previous test record and reuse the entire plan again by resetting status to 'Pending' and un-ticking check boxes. 😊

Like # people like this
chaithra August 29, 2018

Hi Team,

i need to use this for my test case and generation of reports

please can you help me by providing the steps or procedure to perform the same.

Like # people like this
Jagat Singh September 3, 2018

Hi @Alana Fernando

This is really cool. Do you have templates for above test cases which we can re-use?

Thanks for sharing.

Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2018

hi @chaithra@Jagat Singh Thanks 😊. And really sorry for the late reply. 

Both of you can create the same using confluence templates or confluence pages. As I mentioned in above steps use the macros and simple formatting I suggested in each section.

sorry @Jagat Singh I do not have any template to provide at this point. but feel free to ask any question comes to your mind, while creating this test plan page tree 😊

Gordana Gorgievska September 10, 2018

Hi @Alana Fernando,

How did you implement the field Status? Did you use some special Macro or you have created/customized your own?

Thanks a lot.

Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 10, 2018

hi @Gordana Gorgievska, welcome to the community. 😊

I used Status Macro there. 

Gordana Gorgievska September 10, 2018

Thanks a lot @Alana Fernando

chaithra September 10, 2018

Please can you share Status macro download link to download.

Sunil Chowdary October 24, 2018

Hi, am struggling how this can be implemented in our page/space as i am new to this ... also we need to understand how plan can be impletemente which will have different sections like approval/scope/scehdule

am trying to do this on Confluence, also what access level we need to do that?

Thanks

Sunil

Jozsef Lehocz January 14, 2019

Thank you @Alana Fernando. Is there any specific setting should be set within the pie chart used for display test results? For me it raises the following error:

Error rendering macro 'chart' : org.dom4j.DocumentException: Error on line 1 of document : The element type "img" must be terminated by the matching end-tag "</img>". Nested exception: The element type "img" must be terminated by the matching end-tag "</img>".

There has been raised a ticket about this error already. Do you know a workaround this, or how to fix it? 

Thanks, Jozsef

Stacy Harris February 1, 2019

Hi, 

Thank you for posting this @Alana Fernando   What are you using for your pie chart for the 'Summary and final test results'.I am having an issue pulling this data from the data that's on the same page.

krupa.shah March 4, 2019

Hi,
I am new to Confluence and not sure where to begin to manage test cases in Confluence, can someone please guide me? 

Appreciate all your help!

Thanks!!

Like Sim likes this
Anas Otman March 12, 2019

Hi Alana,

is it possible to send me some test (report)templates?

Greets,

Anas Otman

vikramkv March 19, 2019

Hi @Alana Fernando 

Thank you for posting this Alana. This perfectly suits our team requirement. Is it possible to share a template as we are finding challenges in implementing this super cool solution.

Else steps and procedure to configure this would also be useful. Please help in providing either of this. Thank you!

Like Žiga Završnik likes this
chaithra March 24, 2019

Hi Alana,

Please can you provide the template or steps to configure this.

Ceci Briozzo April 23, 2019

It is a great idea but it requires to create a page for each test case.. some functionalities we test are not that complex, and the test case can be written as a rows in a table.. We use a page for each test suite (use case), and the page contains all test cases in table format.

So this presents a problem on how to obtain automatically the metrics.  Is there a form to use for example a status macro, several times in a page, and with other macro count them? Thanks a lot.

Like # people like this
Just_a_PM June 5, 2019

Has anyone got this to generate the pie chart using the standard Chart macro?  The macro used in this example looks like the Chart From Table macro (non-standard).   @Alana Fernando which macro are you using? 

It would appear that the standard Chart macro will not read text values ("Pass", "Fail"...), because they are not "statable", and cannot be counted by Chart macro.  Hence why the author vaguely says she "uses a chart macro".  Why not just say "use Excel"...

I love that this page gives a quite inspiring vision, but lack of details is very frustrating.  

Page Properties Report is nice, but charting in standard Confluence, meh.

Like # people like this
Noé Roy July 16, 2019

I am also interested in an answer to @Ceci Briozzo question because I have the same problem.

Satya_Prasad_Nemana January 2, 2020

Hi @Alana Fernando 

Thank you for sharing the info, its very useful.

However as a company if someone wants to view test cases for a particular requirement / feature, want to record results , maintain test case ids, does confluence expose any APIs that can be used to query a page like we do as in a DB?

For example, query the contents of this page for a particular test ID(how to maintain uniqueness of the test ID is also a problem if doing manually as its free text and uncontrolled.

do you have any suggestions/ideas of any free plugins etc, please?

we are already spending on confluence and jira so want to make the best use of it

thx

Satya

Szabó Dániel June 10, 2020

Hello @Alana Fernando 

Is is possible to share the template?

I would really appriciate that.

Thanks,

Daniel

Kuldeep Kumar July 28, 2020

Hi,

Good information, I created the test cases and test plan.However I am not able to fetch the final summary chart though using the test plan.

Can you share how have you accomplished this?

Thank you for your help!

Kuldeep

carlos.silva August 14, 2020

@Alana Fernando could you please give more details in how to use the Test log, I mean how to implement that part. Thanks a lot for this post!!!!

Brenda TIATI August 28, 2020

Thanks for sharing this :)

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events