Like the content of Confluence, our knowledge is never complete

When I started using Confluence, I was seen as a Confluence expert because I knew how to use wiki mark-up - there was no WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor back then. Jumping forward to 2019 and I am reminded I still have a lot to learn about Confluence.

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 3.54.44 PM.png

A WYSIWYG editor - a Confluence contributor's best friend.

In this article I'll share a few tricks I learnt last week. You can benefit from these timesavers now (if you are not already using them) rather than over a decade after your first login to Confluence like me.

The back story - how did I pick up these titbits? 

"Why don't we have a company study group?" one insightful team member asked and with a zing there was a Jira issue in my sprint to get the study group running. A few clickswhirrs, and umms later I had a plan for the first topic area - Confluence. I would lead the class (it's good practice for being an Atlassian Authorised Instructor) and I would use the resources available to TechTime Initiative Group as an Atlassian Solution partner and Authorised Trainer.

The motivation of the attendees was varied. A new team member wanted to learn more about Confluence as a new user, someone else uses Confluence daily but wanted to build on their skills to become an power user, and other people are working towards their Confluence Administrator Certification. 

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 3.52.16 PM copy.png

At the time of writing this article we have had two sessions and feedback so far is positive. Click on 'watch' below if you would to see an update after session 5.

Look below for one of the topics covered that can literally save you millions of clicks (#everykeystrokematters).

A few useful Confluence keyboard shortcuts

When viewing a page you can 

• collapse and expand the sidebar with a press of the “[“ key,
  • jump to the Quick Search with a press of the “/“ key, 
  • start editing the current page with a press of the “e“ key,

When editing a page you can

• add an image or media with a press of the “!“ key, 
  • add a link with a press of the “[“ key, 
  • add a macro with a press of the “{“ key,
  • create a bullet point quickly by typing '*' followed by a space
  • create a numbered list quickly by typing '#' followed by a space
  • create a checkbox quickly by typing "[]"
  • add an icon quickly by typing '(' followed by a symbol (/xi!+?-, etc.), followed by a ')'

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 8.39.54 AM copy.png

If these do not work, or you prefer not to use autocomplete (or autoformating), you can check your editor settings. These can be found by clicking on your profile picture at the top right of the page choose Settings > Editor and there are 2 checkboxes.

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 3.31.13 PM copy.png

(info) Want even more keyboard shortcuts? Check the full list by pressing the "?" key when you are viewing a Confluence page.

7 comments

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 28, 2019

Strangely on my home computer I don't see the images but at work I do. Please let me know if you cannot see any images.

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2019

I too can't see the images :( Browser complications?

I am on the latest version of Chrome.

Like # people like this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 30, 2019

@Andy - PTC Redundant - how about now? I think I solved the issue.

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2019

@Kat Warner: There they are ! ! :D

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2019

Thanks for this wonderful article @Kat Warner - I love reading about your study group. When talking about starters, power users aso do you give the people certifications? badges? Anything like that. 

Would love to hear more about training and groups. 

Kesha Thill
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 1, 2019

Oh my! These Confluence sessions sound so interesting! I would love to see the content! Also, love some good shortcuts :) great article @Kat Warner!

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
March 18, 2019

@Fabienne Gerhard and @Kesha Thill - the content was the Atlassian courses available to us as Solution partners.

Study group results

Topic: Confluence

Tool: Confluence Admin Cert Prep Questions

Results: Kat 18% increase, Richard L 9% increase, Alex 27% increase. Two of us have the Confluence exam booked for April.

We have moved on to Jira Service Desk with a bigger group.

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events