Introducing the new space creation experience!

Hi everybody!

As many of you know, we tested out a new space creation experience over the past few months. This new experience drastically simplifies the space creation experience by focusing on Confluence's core use-cases.

Instead of presenting a long list of templates, most of which are highly similar, you are now presented with just three options: Collaboration, Knowledge base, and Custom:

58cc9ca2-fd15-40e0-82ce-2c7693c1ffbc.png

To date, space templates in Confluence have been primarily differentiated by their default sample content. However, the majority of space templates were rarely ever selected, and much of their default content ended up getting deleted.

With this redesign, we've shifted toward a space creation experience defined by the default feature configurations that best support Confluence's two core use-cases.

For example, if you're creating a knowledge base, you may be less likely to use whiteboards, so we've disabled them by default.

If you’re not sure this is the right choice for your team, changing them back is as simple as clicking a toggle:

bf8f39b6-448a-4ac1-9a89-c3985558a3f6.png

There’s no need to worry about making mistakes, either — you can always edit these features in the new and improved Space settings > Features later:

2ddb9034-ad49-425c-8b75-bb2979675b7a.png

But wait, what happened to the page templates I’m used to?

We’ve included the most-used page templates for each use case by default:

Collaboration

• Project plan

• Decisions page

• Meeting notes

Knowledge base

• KB How-to article

• KB troubleshooting article

In order to find the rest of the templates, you can click on either of the following after creating a new page:

4846d1a9-f278-4080-83f4-5b4cdd68bb30.png

A few other tweaks

Besides the changes to the space creation flow, you may notice a number of other changes that make it easier to create and get started using a space:

You will be able to create a space directly from the global create button:

6f49bd08-d498-4a7d-bdb7-ec90ea5d44a8.png

We’ve also updated the default space overview pages by adding a few of our most popular macros:

b83ed89c-cbfb-456e-ac47-9b98859bf08c.png

And finally, we built a custom “Project Tracker” connector to Atlas and Jira so your team can stay on top of project progress:

98f3013c-ff58-45a2-9380-732eb79df0ef.png

These changes will be rolling out over the next few weeks; we hope you enjoy them!

- Ned, on behalf of the Confluence team

6 comments

Stefan Kleineikenscheidt _K15t_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2024

Hey @Ned Lindau, thanks for sharing! I think this is awesome to let space admins reduce the overload of features for users who don't need to know about every single content type.

Way to go!
-Stefan

Like # people like this
Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 22, 2024

Hey @Ned Lindau,

This is VERY awesome. I love how much thought was put into these changes. I'm really curious about the "custom “Project Tracker” connector" the team added.

What is this thing? I can't add it with the slash command, so I'm guessing it's not an element/macro, and there are no link options, so I don't think it's a Smart Link. But I can copy it and paste it on other pages.

I'm so confused! 🙈

Could you help me understand?

Screenshot 2024-08-22 at 12.12.41.png

Like mahboob_sharif likes this
Asmath Basha S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2024

Hi @Ned Lindau ,

This feature is now limited for users? I can't able to access this feature.

Like # people like this
Ned Lindau
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 23, 2024

@Asmath Basha S it's in the process of rolling out now. You should see it on your account by the end of next week at the latest!

Like # people like this
Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 23, 2024
Like # people like this
P_D_ Foerster
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 2, 2024

I really like the changes and I agree that most space templates were never used that much.
Now, it seems much more clear and streamlined.

A further improvement to this could be by providing an existing space which acts as a template to copy the space tree from. Alternatively, admins could configure something like a blueprint in Confluence DC which is then used to provision the new space. As far as I know, blueprints are not available in Confluene Cloud.

Like Ned Lindau likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events