Introducing embedded Confluence pages in Jira Software!

94 comments

Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2022

@Dean Cappto answer your first question, no it doesn't structure them in any way as you create them from Jira and there isn't any direct tie to the issue hierarchy in Jira. The idea is to directly create a space tied to the Jira project right from it instead of going to Confluence first, creating a space, and then having to create links/shortcuts back and forth.

I have to agree with you somewhat on your understanding of Confluence from a new user perspective. It does take some getting used to in that you have to always be thinking of where you are in Confluence as you are creating content. It's a big electronic filing cabinet (Confluence), with lots of drawers(Spaces), with lots of hanging file folders (pages) the green ones on rails keep groups of manila file folders (sub-pages) and files (e-docs) all filed where you want them. Add tags to anything in this chain and you can search for and find it later.

Let's say you are working on an issue. You can create a page directly from Jira about it and it will show up in the project pages area. Now you have a page related to that issue. If you come back to the same issue and want to add follow-up info., then go to that same project page directly from Jira and either add to the existing one or create a new page that will be one deep from your original page. If you add the same tag to each and then link the parent page to that issue or other related issues you can fairly easily navigate back and forth as needed. Mentioning the various tickets on the related Confluence page can also help you navigate around.

Don't give up on it right away. Start working with it. You'll get lost but you can always find your way back and delete stuff or keep it. It has taken me quite a while to get my company to embrace it and I now have a few disciples as champions of using it for its intended purpose.

Like # people like this
Lennon Liao
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 21, 2022

@Dean Capp Thanks for the feedback. Before you create pages via "Jira Project Pages", you would first need to connect a Confluence space to that project. Once this step is completed, any new page created in Jira Project Pages will be stored in that connected Confluence space and you can also have it organized by creating child pages nested under a parent page (the newly created page is not tied to any Jira Epic/Story). Hope this helps.

Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2022

Time saver... OMG, I LOVE this feature.  My team is now going to confluence more as a result. Thank you!

Like Lennon Liao likes this
Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2022

While this is a great new feature I have always wondered why we cannot connect business (core) or JSD for that matter to a confluence  space like we can software projects. Don't business people use confluence?

Lennon Liao
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 2, 2022

Hi @Arthur Mack - Today within JSD, you can connect a Confluence space to your JSD project to power your knowledge base. This allows you to view your knowledge base articles (Confluence pages) natively within JSD. Is this workflow something you are looking for?

Would love to hear more about the goals you are trying to accomplish by connecting business (core) or JSD to a Confluence space and see how we can prioritize this.

Leif Rask March 7, 2022

A useful workflow for Confluence and JIRA is to have the design and architecture artefacts for a JIRA story/epic in Confluence. At the moment, it is nice that you can link to the Confluence page from within the JIRA story, so you can jump around, but it would be great to have this an integrated experience. This would also be useful for test scripts related to a story. Maybe the Confluence page could appear on a JIRA tab to which it is associated, e.g., "Test Script", "Story Design", etc?

Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 21, 2022

@Lennon Liao 

THe issue with JSD is its  just for making  knowledge based articles and comes with a defined template and you cannot pick another template. As for JIRA business there is no way to link a confluence space at all which is very puzzling. The goal is the same, to have better JIRA Confluence integration.

Art

LJ March 21, 2022

Looks great.

James Dellow
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2022

@Lennon Liao this is a nice feature, but its doesn't support macros that use the dialog module (in Connect at least, I haven't tested in Forge).

Prashant Sultania
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2022

That's awesome and when do we expect the same features in Data Center? This will help the team a lot in editing the confluence page quickly.

Lennon Liao
Atlassian Team
April 28, 2022

Hi @Prashant Sultania This feature is currently only available in Cloud. We don’t have an ETA on when it will be made available in Data Center but will definitely let you know if we do. Thanks! 

Like Prashant Sultania likes this
Harley Reid May 23, 2022

I use this all the time! Love it

Like # people like this
Brittany Sudlow
Atlassian Team
June 3, 2022

Hi Community members! Do any of you Jira Software-Confluence users care to participate in paid Atlassian research?

For 30-min of your time you'll get $75 and your feedback will go to inform our marketing and roadmap efforts for Confluence and Jira!

If so, check out this post for more details on how to signup! 

Igor Baltiyskiy September 16, 2022

Hi @Lennon Liao , great news! Wondering about the ability to embed Confluence pages into Jira issues. Will it be reusable --- so that Connect apps could do this as well?

Like Dyego Mota likes this
Igor Baltiyskiy September 19, 2022

To clarify --- I'm looking for an ability to embed Confluence page in a Connect app's iframe, so that we can display relevant pages in the context of our app.

Lennon Liao
Atlassian Team
September 27, 2022

Hi @Igor Baltiyskiy Do you have an example of the Connect app's iframe that you plan to embed a Confluence page into?

Igor Baltiyskiy September 27, 2022

Sure @Lennon Liao , we are looking into ways to port Structure.Pages into Cloud. So we will have a hierarchical view that includes both issues and linked pages, and when page is selected, we would like to show its contents.

Lennon Liao
Atlassian Team
October 12, 2022

Thanks @Igor Baltiyskiy. We don't have this capability at the moment. But good suggestion!

Annie Lieu
Atlassian Team
December 1, 2022

Hi Community! Hope you've gotten to use this native Confluence experience in your other work productivity tools well since we first launched :)! We would love to hear from you on how you've been using the product and what you would like to see improve as we inform our upcoming product roadmap. 

--> Check out this community post for more info about our research survey.
--> And please email me at alieu@atlassian.com so we can learn more about you and possibly set up time to chat! 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events