Introducing Confluence whiteboards! 🎉

G’day Community! We’re super excited to announce whiteboards in Confluence!

A free public beta is coming soon, so join the waitlist to be among the first to get access as soon as it’s available. 

Until then, here’s a fun sneak peek to watch: 🎥  

Why whiteboards?

For distributed teams working in hybrid or remote environments, brainstorming together can be especially tricky. Our customers and own teams heavily relied on online whiteboards while working remotely because they enabled us to collaborate as if we were in the same room. But connecting that “pre-planning” work to “structured” work was not as smooth as we wished.

We saw an opportunity to create a deeply integrated experience for customers connecting their unstructured whiteboard ideation to Jira and Confluence workflows. Our goal is to help teams move seamlessly across their Confluence pages, Jira issues, and whiteboards in a deeply connected way.

So with Confluence whiteboards, you have a new digital canvas to brainstorm freely, turn ideas into action, and visualize work. Read on to learn more.

Why have whiteboards in Confluence?

So you may be wondering, why whiteboards in Confluence? Because great ideas come to life in Confluence! Since Confluence is your single source of truth where work gets done. It only makes sense to keep everything in one convenient place where everyone is already working and has the same access.

Brainstorm freely

We heard from customers that they wanted a more flexible way to brainstorm in Confluence. So Confluence whiteboards come with all the essential features you know and love to quickly capture and bring disparate ideas together from anywhere. With a toolbox of visual elements, like sticky notes, stamps, stickers, images, timers, lines, and multi-person editing, along with best-practice templates, your team can get creative and get up and running, fast. 

47ad83ff-c2ce-4bec-9f5d-efad5456d9cb.png

Turn ideas into action

How do brainstorms become deliverables? Whiteboards in Confluence simplify transforming ideas into actionable tasks for team collaboration. Turning a fruitful brainstorm into a reality should not be a manual, big lift. Confluence whiteboards are designed to make this process as smooth as possible. 

Jira issue creation: Turn sticky notes into single or multiple Jira issues in one click. 

Edit Jira issues: Expand Jira issues within your whiteboard to add more details or edit tickets on the fly.

Confluence page conversion: Take free-form thinking from a whiteboard and turn it into a structured Confluence page in seconds. 

Connect issues: Connect two Jira issues to indicate a relationship like a blocker, assigned by, or related in an epic.

Smart Sections:  Quickly update Jira issues in bulk like assigning all issues to one engineer or a particular sprint, from your whiteboard.

Note: This works for any Jira Cloud product, so Jira Software, Jira Work Management, Jira Product Discovery, Jira Service Management, etc.

cea2d423-af8c-401e-9596-d18cdbf1f253.png

Visualize your work

Work management isn’t exactly a straight line, is it? Do any of the following challenges sound familiar? Because it does to me. 

“I struggle to understand how all my team’s work fits together,” or “It’s hard to get a clear view of prioritization, and how different tasks relate to each other,” or even, “I have information in different tools that I wish could be brought together in one place.” 

Enter: Confluence whiteboards. One view for every project with the context you need–here’s how:

Import Jira: Bring all your Jira issues into one view to add relationships with connectors and sections to visualize your work. Search across any Jira (cloud product), on any site, or in any project. You can even use Jira Query Language (JQL) with the native JQL editor directly in whiteboards to find the Jira issues you’re looking for.

Smart Sections: Create automated sections in your whiteboard that you can use to manage issues in Jira, assign tasks to sprints, update priority, and more. Simply drop Jira issues into the Smart Section, and the automation will do the rest!

Smart Links: Embed your content from other Atlassian products or third-party tools, such as Figma or YouTube, into your whiteboard to have all your plans and context in a single view.

⚠ Note that not all the features listed above will be available immediately at the start of beta. However, we are actively building these features, so it won’t be long before you can start to use all these tools and more! Another reason to join the waitlist!

3b54580d-ca7d-49de-a10d-8fca8b851859.png

Can I still use my other whiteboard tools?

Atlassian believes teams can work differently, together! So we’re giving our customers choice! We know many of our customers find great value in their existing visual collaboration tools like Miro, Lucid, and InVision. You can expect to see continued enhancements in how these tools integrate with Confluence and other Atlassian products. So, for example, you can bring your Miro boards into Confluence, embed them, and edit them all from a page. You can also do the opposite and embed Confluence pages into Miro.

Through Smart Links, Marketplace apps, and other integrations, you can use the tools that suit your needs best, whether that be draw.io, Gliffy, FigJam, Miro, Mural, or something else. So, work differently, together.

Confluence whiteboards beta is coming soon

We’re so excited for you to give whiteboards a try soon and use Confluence as the collaborative knowledge hub for all your work––from early thinking phases to finished delivery. Beta is coming soon so join the waitlist to try out the features above as they progressively roll out over time.

Cheers,

Jonno Katahanas and the whiteboards team!

74 comments

Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2023

Can't Wait!

Like # people like this
Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2023

Wooo! 🎉 Can't wait as well to test it out😄

Like # people like this
Peter Quick April 19, 2023

Hi @Jonno Katahanas ,

Will Confluence whiteboards have capability to import drawings from other sources, like Gliffy?

Cheers,

PeterQ

Like # people like this
Gail April 20, 2023

We have a very limited budget and use very few add-on apps as we have 1 full time admin / support person (me).   It sounds like whiteboards would be built into Confluence.   Do you foresee this being only a feature of enterprise or premium OR would it also be standard?

Like # people like this
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2023

As commented on another post, this is "the Confluence time" to sweep the marketplace.

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 25, 2023

Well, well, well @Jonno Katahanas,

Whiteboards seems like a real winner! Can't wait to get my hands on the beta.

Kudos to the team!

Like # people like this
Louise Driscoll April 26, 2023

Do we have any idea when this will be availbe?

Like # people like this
Jonno Katahanas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 26, 2023

@Peter Quick re; "Will Confluence whiteboards have capability to import drawings from other sources, like Gliffy?" - at some point in the future we hope to enable users to embed technical diagrams from places like Gliffy, Draw.io. We don't have that capability currently.

Like # people like this
Jonno Katahanas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 26, 2023

Hey Gail -  In terms of pricing, current thinking is we'll have the feature available for all editions of Confluence (from Free through to Enterprise). We're going to be working through exacts of this over time. Things can change, but this is our current early-stage POV.

Like # people like this
Jonno Katahanas
Atlassian Team
April 26, 2023

@Louise Driscoll we're currently in a closed early access program with just over 200 customers. In late June / early July, we're aiming to open this up to any customer to turn on the Beta on your own instances.

Like # people like this
dave_drexler April 27, 2023

Hi @Jonno Katahanas - I have 2 questions:

• Will the whiteboards feature be free 'forever' ?
  • The announcement email says, "When you turn on the whiteboard experience, all users on your site will be provided access and notified." Is there any way to throttle back on that messaging? I'd like to control the rollout to avoid a million questions.

Thanks! Looks like a great feature - nicely done!

Dave

Like # people like this
Jonno Katahanas
Atlassian Team
April 27, 2023

Hey @dave_drexler great questions!

Re; will it be free forever - our current thinking is we'll have the feature available for all editions of Confluence (from Free through to Enterprise). We're going to be working through exacts of this over time. Things can change, but this is our current early-stage POV. In short, our plan today is to keep it free, but things can change. Adding that caveat even though we aren't thinking about charging.

Re; being turned on for everyone. Unfortunately, we only have the ability for it to go to all users. One thing that you could do is turn it on for a sandbox/test instance. We've seen some of our early-stage customers do this before turning on for everyone.

Hope that helps!

Like # people like this
dave_drexler April 28, 2023

Thanks for the info, @Jonno Katahanas.

Regarding my second question, however - I was more interested in the *messaging* resulting from turning it on. I think sending a message to all my users will be disruptive; I'd rather have the feature stealthily appear.

Is there any way to reduce the blast radius of the messaging?

Like Christine Green likes this
C_ G_ May 2, 2023

will whiteboard be available for the Data Center version too, or is it a „cloud only“?

Like # people like this
Matt Richards May 2, 2023

@Jonno Katahanas - I am currently advocating for Confluence and Jira in my organization, and a collaborative whiteboard solution is a big part of the decision making. Having it tightly integrated with Confluence documentation and Jira issues is critical.

We need to make a decision ASAP, and cannot wait until July. Is there any way to get into the closed beta? Having used lots of solutions in this area, and as an engineer and CPO, I'd be more than happy to provide copious amounts of feedback. :) 

Jonno Katahanas
Atlassian Team
May 2, 2023

@dave_drexler thanks for clarifying. Re; reducing blast radius of messaging, unfortunately we don't have a way to limit that on a site-by-site basis.

Jonno Katahanas
Atlassian Team
May 2, 2023

@C_ G_ unfortunately, whiteboards will be cloud only

Like # people like this
Jonno Katahanas
Atlassian Team
May 2, 2023

@Matt Richards can you please send me an email at jkatahanas@atlassian.com with that same ask so I have your email address and can talk about what we might be able to sort out.

Michael Areola May 2, 2023

This is a welcome development! Hope it will be integrated with create functionality in JIRA so that we can automatically covert sticky note to issue types

Like Jonno Katahanas likes this
Getjan_lammers May 3, 2023

Great, can't wait and have joined the waiting list. For which platforms will it be available?

Stuart Capel - London
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2023

Can't wait for this!

Like # people like this
Jonno Katahanas
Atlassian Team
May 3, 2023

@Michael Areola you can already convert sticky notes to Jira issues across Jira Software, Jira Work Management, Jira Product Discovery & Jira Service Management (all cloud only)! You can learn more here.

Jonno Katahanas
Atlassian Team
May 3, 2023

@Getjan_lammers whiteboards are only available on Confluence Cloud.

Like # people like this
dave_drexler May 5, 2023

Hi @Jonno Katahanas - sorry to harp on the notifications: is there any way I can get a preview of the announcement that will be sent if I turn this on? I'm (perhaps over-)sensitive to the ramifications of messaging my entire user base about the availability of a new feature and the questions and internal support tickets that might generate.

Like # people like this
Kalin U
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2023

@dave_drexler I understand you.

Subject: Your team now has access to Confluence whiteboards

Body preview: see attached

Confluence whiteboards email.png

I hope this will help clarify the type of communication your users will get once Confluence whiteboards is available to your site(s).

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events