Inline comments while editing — FINALLY!

Hi! I’m Daniel, a Product Manager on the Confluence Cloud team. We’ve been listening to customers and the community over the past few years, and one feature request we’ve heard over and over again is the ability to view and create inline comments when editing. We know that this is a huge pain point for many Confluence Cloud customers, making it difficult to collaborate effectively with their teams and provide feedback on content.

I’m excited to announce that rolling out now you’ll be able to create ✍️, view 👀, and resolve ✅  inline comments whether you are viewing or editing a page. 

GONE are the days of needing to have two separate windows open to read inline comments and make edits to pages!!

Inline comment in edit animation (3).gif

Inline comments created when viewing a page will now be visible to page editors in realtime. When editing a page, the inline comments work like you’d expect — you can like, edit, reply to, or resolve them.

But wait … there’s more. You can also create inline comments when editing. To create a new comment, just highlight the text and click the Comment button.

Today, we don’t send any notifications about content updates that happen when editing until a page is published, so to remain true to that and respect the privacy of your draft collaboration sessions, we won’t send notifications or post inline comments until you publish. This means that you and your collaborators can mark up your content all you want with the trust that your comments and feedback won’t be seen until you publish.

We hope this new feature helps you and your team collaborate more effectively in Confluence Cloud.

Note: If you don't see them yet, hold tight, they will be coming to you in the next few weeks.

Also coming very soon -- inline comments on the Confluence mobile app📱! Stay tuned for that and download the app in the meantime for iOS or Android.

Best,

Daniel

62 comments

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2020

Will server get this?

Like # people like this
Deleted user September 3, 2020

great, finally, congratulations is a real great and useful innovation of Confluence cloud. Keep it up. Customers will be satisfied.

Like # people like this
Jan-Peter Rusch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2020

Pretty sure Server & DC won't get it. There are addon on the marketplace delivering this feature. We're only second class customers....

Like # people like this
Stumpy Avjean September 3, 2020

This makes me so happy!

Like # people like this
Anna September 4, 2020

whooo we are SO looking forward to get that on our instance ! 

Like # people like this
Jonathan Hau September 4, 2020

This is huge. I've been waiting for this feature for over 3 years. So glad it's finally here! My team is putting this to good use immediately!

Like # people like this
Adam Fischer September 4, 2020

Any plans on not requiring a page refresh to view a comment?  This is a common annoyance and setback for our team, especially when editing collaborative.

Like # people like this
Simon Wong September 8, 2020

@DA 

Thank you very much for the heads up. This is one of the main reasons I still jump into Google Doc for certain needs.

What' the timing on when we can expect this feature to be released? Is there a way to get notified when it finally happens?

Thanks again.

Domenico Manzo _Actonic_
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 22, 2020

This a great new, a lot of our customer want this feature! 

For all the ones who a searching for a Server or Datacenter solution, just search for "Show Inline Comments in Editor", you will find the best Server / DC solution which will solve this issue. 

Best Regards

Domenico  

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 22, 2020

@Domenico Manzo _Actonic_those of us looking for inline editing in the editor were hoping to not have to pay more for it via another plugin, when its going to be standard functionality in the Cloud.

Like Andy May-Coates likes this
mishalove September 23, 2020

This is a great step - but is a suggestion feature also in the works? This is the main reason we currently pay for another app, and would love to see both commenting and suggesting (with the ability to accept or reject) available in edit mode. 

Like # people like this
Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 23, 2020

Awesome, cant wait till its on our instance.

Anna October 5, 2020

Do you know when it will be released ? One month till it was announced and still noting here ;) 

Like Stumpy Avjean likes this
DA
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 5, 2020

@Anna thank you for your comment, we're in the process of rolling out the feature to all customers and ensuring that it's a high performance and high quality experience for everyone. Stay tuned, you and your team will have access shortly.

Like # people like this
DA
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 5, 2020

@mishalove thank you for your suggestion! We don't have anything to share on this just yet but plan to continue to improve the inline commenting experience in Confluence to make it more discoverable and useful for all customers. We hope you keep using it and keep sharing great feedback/requests like these!

Like # people like this
Deleted user October 12, 2020

Looking forward to trying out this new feature!

Like # people like this
Tomáš Vojvoda October 14, 2020

It's great that it's finally possible for sure.
But I would like to ask for you to take one more step and include a functionality like "suggest change", so that I can maybe "turn on suggestion mode", do some changes (like rewrite a sentence) and those changes would be saved in draft as a "suggestion" for others to accept or discard, with the ability to comment on it(so I could also mention the one that should accept it)

This would move collaboration in confluence to another level, it would bring it much closer to google docs in the ease of use.

Like # people like this
Rachael Garbee October 14, 2020

Does this work on drafts? Or just published docs you are editing?

Like Britta Nyborg likes this
DA
Atlassian Team
October 14, 2020

@Rachael Garbee thank you for your question. Yes, you'll be able to use inline comments both on drafts and published pages.

Today, we don’t send any notifications about content updates that happen when editing until a page is published, so to remain true to that and respect the privacy of your draft collaboration sessions, we won’t send notifications or post inline comments created in the editor until you publish. This means that you and your collaborators can mark up your content all you want with the trust that your comments and feedback won’t be seen until you publish.

Like Britta Nyborg likes this
Rachael Garbee October 14, 2020

Interesting, ok so I've been trying to use this functionality on drafts but to no avail. Is it not live on all instances yet?

DA
Atlassian Team
October 14, 2020

@Rachael Garbee not yet, we're in the process of rolling out the feature to all customers and ensuring that it's a high performance and high quality experience for everyone. Stay tuned, you and your team will have access shortly.

Like Robert Gates likes this
Deleted user October 15, 2020

I agree with @Tomáš Vojvoda . A functionality like "suggesting a change" would be extremely useful, since sometimes you don't really need to comment, but just want to make a suggestion on the content (see Google Docs analogy). 

Like # people like this
Anna October 27, 2020

Still nothing almost 2 months later. Will it be available for real ? 

Like # people like this
Robert Gates October 27, 2020

This is EXACTLY what I need but I can't seem to get it to work. Any tips or advice?

Like Anna likes this
Deleted user November 5, 2020

If this is a rolling release, is there a way to get in line so that we can use/test this function before we add marketplace add ons?  This is a much-needed feature and happy to see it but having a release date or preview, it would really help.

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events