Inline comments while editing — FINALLY!

62 comments

DA
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 14, 2020

@Robert Gates thanks for your comment and sorry to hear you're seeing this issue. We've tested it and can confirm that both emails and push notifications are sending as expected for inline comments created in the editor (they're sent after customers publish a draft). We do batch some of our email notifications together so you may want to double check that your notifications weren't sent as a batch with other updates. Feel free to shoot me a note at dayele@atlassian.com if you're still seeing issues and we can dig deeper to better understand the issue.

John Tolle December 14, 2020

I realize that this is cheating a bit, but @DA, is there any chance you could put some heat on JST-610162?  It's a strange issue were we have some disappearing comments.  It is believed that they still live in the database, but that the query just isn't pulling them back to the page to be viewed.  It's gone nowhere since the beginning of November.

kc.tan January 19, 2021

Hi, this is a great feature. I found that it only works for some parts of the page. Is there any restriction of this features? For example, after highlighting a part of the text in a filtered table, I do not see the comment option as it does in other parts of the page. Would appreciate it if you could explain how to enable it. 

Jennifer Weber March 12, 2021

Is this available on Confluence server? Thanks.

Like Andy May-Coates likes this
Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 20, 2021

Really looking forward to inline comments working as suggestions too.

Len Quam June 2, 2021

I'm still not seeing inline comments created in Edit mode when in View mode on a page. A page refresh does not solve this. Inline comments created in View mode still appear in View mode, but only in Edit mode do you see both comments created when in Edit and View. This is not acceptable. Is there a bug on this already?

UPDATE: The inline comments created while editing showed up about an hour later on the page. I still consider this a bug, as this much time to replicate to appear on the page with other comments is still far too long.

Like Eric Tchadej likes this
Len Quam June 2, 2021

The other issue with this feature is that while you can view the comment, if you return focus to the page you're editing, the comment disappears. So, if you need to reference the comment to make your edit, you're still opening up another browser window to see the comment while you type. Again, is there a bug on this, as this is also clearly not acceptable.

Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 3, 2021

Good points @Lem, I hope they are picked up. The goal for me as a user is to remove as much as possible the back and forth between view and edit modes. 

Conny Beyermann July 19, 2021

@DA: Do you have a timeslot/ releasenumber for Rollout in DataCenter ( Server ist dead, i believe...)? 

Thanks

Like Andy May-Coates likes this
Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2023

"The inline comments created while editing showed up about an hour later on the page. I still consider this a bug, as this much time to replicate to appear on the page with other comments is still far too long."

I've just noticed the same behavior at one of our client's instances. Inline comments showed around 30 minutes after the page was published, and as @Len Quam mentioned, this is far too long. Note that at the same time as comments showed up, I've received email notification from Confluence as well (about page update).

Is there maybe a bug reported on this somewhere on system dashboard?

Jake S July 16, 2023

@DA when a page is in read mode, there is a comment button at the top of the page and each comment has a Next Comment bottom to see the next comment, in edit mode I don't seem to see these features.

In edit mode I have to scroll through the page to find each comment and see if the comment is even for me and for a long page this is not an efficient or pleasant user experience.

Is there a more efficient way?

@DA What I am doing here is a work around to be bigger problem that, I can simply view a list of all comments for me, across all pages that I need to address. As we are a collaborative team, this is a big problem that if not addressed soon will put in to question if confluence is a suitable solution.

Sam Lucas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 19, 2023

Hi @Jake S - I am a Confluence product manager - and we are currently working on navigating through comments while in edit mode, as well as other improvements to in-line commenting that will bring our commenting experience in view mode the same as edit mode! 

Like Tomislav Tobijas likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events