Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inline comments while editing — FINALLY!

62 comments

John Tolle November 10, 2020

It's strange that this post was created September 2nd, 2020, and we're just now hearing about it via a "Confluence November digest" e-mail I received today (November 10th, 2020).  We do not yet see it on our instance but are very much looking forward to it (and just recently complained about the issue it solves)!  Hopefully, its inclusion in the e-mail "newsletter" means that rollout will soon be complete.  Like, Lee, though, I'd love priority access.  We also very recently found a bug related to comments where resolved comments are not being shown past a certain number of comments, so we know how to bug find!

Like # people like this
Aparna Agarwal November 10, 2020

I am not seeing this in our instance either. Does someone need to turn it on or something?

DA
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 10, 2020

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your feedback and it's exciting to see so many customers looking forward to this release. We are in the process of rolling out the feature to all customers and ensuring that it's a high performance and high quality experience for everyone. We ask that you please be patient and expect all customers to have access to the feature in the next week or two.

Best,

Daniel Ayele
Senior Product Manager
Confluence Cloud

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 10, 2020
Darin LaFramboise November 10, 2020

This is awesome news! I've been waiting on this feature for years. There were some good Marketplace Apps that solved this for server/dc, but they were never approved for internal use by our admins. 

Ship it and ship it fast! My team needs this!

BTW ...why not eliminate Edit/Publish as a follow on? It seems like the Permission function revolves around comment handling and one could just set permissions for the page instead of requiring an edit/publish mode. My team often has to publish a blank page first then provide edit links for quicker collaboration. So we end up using the edit links to mimic the 'always iterative' design we see in other products such as Google Docs. Food for thought! Excited about the end of published-view based comments

tatianalopez November 11, 2020

Looking forward to using this!

Adam Kunicki November 11, 2020

Yes, very anxiously awaiting the rollout of this to our Confluence Cloud...

Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2020

Same here, every day we live in hope.

Bipin Chandra R November 17, 2020

Great! Finally something new on confluence.

But isn't it too late that the feature is not released? The initial post was on 2nd Sept.

DA
Atlassian Team
November 17, 2020

Thank you all for the questions and discussion, we're really excited to bring this feature to all of you. I'm excited to announce that all customers now have access to inline comments in edit! (caveat: for those customers who have opted in to change management it will take a little while longer to get access via the next batched release). I'm also hosting an AmA on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/Confluence/status/1328745120393474049 for the next few hours, so feel free to hop in to the conversation if you have questions or feedback.

Thanks,

Daniel Ayele
Product Manager
Confluence Cloud

Deleted user November 17, 2020

It is like an early Christmas present!!!

Just got the notification and tested the function and my team is so happy!

John Tolle November 17, 2020

I can confirm that this is live on our instance.  Whoo hoo!

Robert Gates November 17, 2020

It is now live on our instance. It showed up within the past week or so.

Martijn M November 17, 2020

got released on my instance this morning, a great improvement!

In the odd occasions, comments aren't showing, requiring a page refresh. That being said, I've been having that issue previously before and seems to be related to the Confluence Cloud server.

Gerri Mills November 17, 2020

Hi there, is it only me, but if you add inline comments while editing, they are not visible after you publish the page, only in edit mode?? 

Martijn M November 17, 2020

@Gerri Mills  I think that probably makes sense. I assume that when a page is being edited, everyone sees the latest published version (which is probably a different instance of the page in the Confluence backend). 

Gerri Mills November 17, 2020

It's very confusing - If I add an inline comment whilst editing, the only time it is visible is in edit mode. So once the page is published, those comments are not visible. So, then I add the comment again (while not in edit mode) so people can see the comment. 

THEN, if you go back to edit there are two comments.

This is not intuitive behaviour in my opinion. 

Stas Bytsko November 18, 2020

Suggest change is the feature that is present in Github Pull Requests and GitLab Merge Requests - and it's super useful there. 

John Tolle November 18, 2020

@Gerri Mills IMHO, that is a bug in your instance.  You should contact Atlassian support directly.  I suspect they'll be receptive since this feature literally just rolled out.

On my instance, comments created in edit or view mode are always visible in either edit or view mode, which is what I would expect.

I created a test page to try it out, but of course the new Public Links feature only allows sharing the contents of a page, and not its comments, which defeats the purpose here.

Like Gerri Mills likes this
McG November 18, 2020

This rolled out to us today and it's working.  I agree with previous comments that this will be a useful feature, as I can now process comments of suggested edits while I'm actually editing (wow, imagine that).

Feedback for Atlassian itself = can you update this page as the rollouts occur?  Seems lots of people aren't clear on the difference between an announced vs. GA feature, and I was initially confused when reading this article (dated two months ago) and seeing the "available now" popup in Confluence.

Like Anna likes this
Anna November 19, 2020

finally rolled out yesterday on our instance and we love it ! 

Jade Melcher November 19, 2020

WOWOWOOWOWO YAAAAAAS

this will be a HUGE win for us since our org still heavily uses google docs because of this lack of functionality. once step closer!!!

Robert November 21, 2020

YESSS! Finally...

Daniel Bollag November 24, 2020

this is great!! we have been asking for this for ages and a huge plus

Robert Gates December 14, 2020

Is anyone having trouble getting alerts for these? I get them via the app as a push alert but nothing in email. I get other Confluence alerts in email and I checked my alert settings.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events