Image captions are coming!

Hi Community!

I’m Jonno, a Product Manager for the editor in our Cloud products. I’m here to announce an exciting editor improvement to images -- image captions! Rollout of this features starts in October.

Image captions

For a long time, we’ve heard that you want the ability to add additional context to images you insert in the editor. Well, now you can! With image captions, you can easily add a caption to any image. Simply click on the “Add a caption” text below the image and type away!

ImageCaptions2.gif

What’s better, for those of you who use Confluence and Jira Cloud, this functionality will exist in the editor for both products!

Expanded link search

An extra bonus add for links is coming soon too. Currently, the box you see when inserting a link is only searchable for the 90 most recent pages. We’re expanding that to be a universal search across Confluence and Jira. That means no more manual effort to copy the URL to a page you haven’t visited in a while.

We hope you’re just as excited by these new features as we are! Let us know what you think in the comments below.

Cheers,

Jonno | Product Manager | Atlassian Cloud Editor

32 comments

Christopher Thorjussen September 14, 2020

Nice. But where are the frames and borders? A screenshot with white background without a frame or border is not easy to see where begins/ends. I miss the old drop shadows

Like # people like this
David Lowy September 14, 2020

Agree, as a minimum, an option to add a border.  Ideally also the ability to chose border color, width, and all around, top/bottom or sides.

Like # people like this
Martin Henning September 14, 2020

Please add (put back) the features we are actually asking for instead... as stated above, custom image sizes, border, shadows, etc

Like # people like this
Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2020

Captions without automatic caption numbering and the ability to link a reference to it in the main page text (or in other pages) is pretty much useless.

Otherwise this caption is just some auto-formatting of a line of text centered underneath the image.

I agree with @Martin Henning and the others .. bring back what you took away!

Like # people like this
georgem September 14, 2020

Will we be able to tabulate/index there "captions" (list of figures, diagrams, tables etc)?

Like S_ Francoeur likes this
Hercules Konstantopoulos September 14, 2020

That's a great feature, Jonno and team, thank you!

I've hacked my way to decent looking captions in the past by using a level-6 heading right under the image. This will look better and allow me to add captions to right-or left-aligned images. Nice :) 

Like tom schuring likes this
Judd Volino September 14, 2020

Nice. Now can we have borders back, too? They really make a difference. I'll take 1px black -- ANYTHING! Borders are table stakes for an image in an editor.

Like # people like this
John Grygorcewicz September 14, 2020

Captions are good but annotations are really needed. Many times we need to mark up an image to point to a specific part of the image. We can do it outside of Confluence but defeats the purpose. We need it in the product itself. 

Like Susan OConnor likes this
Mark Carniello September 14, 2020

Jonno, from Product Manager to Product Manager: how do you work without the ability to resize images that you've inserted into issue descriptions or comments? I always used to resize images and now I can't anymore. That is way more important to me than captions.

I actually tried to insert a large screenshot here as an example but sadly the insert image functionality is actually not working at all for me right now. The insert image panel literally hangs and I have to refresh the page. Bad.

Like # people like this
Robert September 15, 2020

Where this feature idea came from? A research? I think Atlassian develops features they like, not the users. Tiny fancy new things while leaving old and loved features behind. Yes, this feature is nice, good to see there are improvements. Something like my car manufacturer did: added the voice dial function, so I can talk now, but removed the on screen phonebook and favorites. So I'm not English and my phone is dual sim, as a result I can not make a call...

Like # people like this
Aleksandr Paren September 15, 2020

I can see Atlassian creates the features that not useful. The main thing that you should do is to turn back the possibility of insert images in the same line with the text such as the old editor and any other editor. This is the possibility must have. Other your beautiful words that "we are created new cool feature and product and bla bla bla" not serious.

Like # people like this
John Grygorcewicz September 15, 2020

I Agree with Aleksandr we need to have the ability to insert images side by side as having then only vertically increases the document length unnecessarily. Plus the captioning should be able to be placed under each inserted image.

Hercules Konstantopoulos September 15, 2020

@Aleksandr Paren and @John Grygorcewicz if I am understanding this correctly, you might be able to get what you need in a couple of ways: You could change the layout of the page to two-column; Or you could left- and right-align images and text. 

In the screenshot below you can have text where one of the images is. Does that help at all? I hope I haven't misunderstood what you are after! 

side-by-side.png

Like John Grygorcewicz likes this

@Hercules Konstantopoulos Yes that is what I want to do. Let me try the two column setting as when I did the left align he image still appeared below the initial image. Text worked fine it appeared on the right of the image. Thanks for your help.

UPDATE - The left right align worked but I did not realize that I had to set one image to left and one to right to get it to work but looks like limited to two images together. I need 4 somehow.

Aleksandr Paren September 15, 2020

@Hercules Konstantopoulos no this is not the way what I am looking for.

I need the possibility to write docs and manuals where I need insert any kind of images inside the text. 

!Atla.JPG

Like # people like this

@Aleksandr Paren you are looking for the capability for images inserted into a line of text? 

Aleksandr Paren September 16, 2020

@John Grygorcewicz yes right. New editor doesn't allow to do it.

Tanya C September 20, 2020

Sounds like the Server and Data Center versions are more in tune for better editing than the Cloud version.  Isn't it interesting how the two have diverged so much?  We're still on the 7.4x LTS version of Confluence so crossing my fingers that the newer ones don't take away (or would it be 'add'?) features like I'm seeing in Cloud.

Aleksandr Paren September 23, 2020

Only one negative moment stops our company to do our docs in new editor, this is the problem, that old functionality that exists in any editor, but nor in new, because any kind of employees such as Managers, Business etc, thiks about coolest product but not about users.

Please hear us. 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-68501

Tim Holmes November 5, 2020

It's November and I don't see this feature in our tenant yet, what do I need to enable this feature?

Like Henrik Persson likes this
Henrik Persson November 25, 2020

Hi @Jonno Katahanas 
I'm in the same boat as @Tim Holmes , I can't find the caption feature. I'm using Confluence Cloud, add a new picture (either copy-paste or from the menu) and only get options of alignment and alt text underneath. 
How do I get the captions option to show up?

Kristjan Rijavec December 8, 2020

Hi,

I can't find in Cloud image captioning feature. Have someone found it?

Do I need to enable something?

Thank you

Henrik Persson December 8, 2020

Hi @Kristjan Rijavec, I still don't have captions in Confluence Cloud. 
@Jonno Katahanas, any news?

Like Geoffrey Wiseman likes this
Nicolas Rebeaud January 6, 2021

Hi @Jonno Katahanas ,

I'am in the same situation as @Kristjan Rijavec@Henrik Persson and @Tim Holmes

Is this feature available?

Chris van der Wilk April 9, 2021

Curious now. When is this feature available?

Like Geoffrey Wiseman likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events