Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embedded Confluence Smartlinks just got smarter (and faster)!

Hi everyone, I’m Annie Lieu, a Product Manager focused on building integrated Confluence Cloud experiences across Atlassian’s products to help you work better together.

I’m happy to announce an upgrade to our previous rollout of embedding full Confluence pages into Smart Links!

:celebrate: What’s new:

The Smartlink Embed Confluence page experience now supports anchored links to Confluence pages' headings and subheadings! This means the embedded Confluence links directly to a desired section on the page, instead of the entire page.

Try having an embed Confluence page load straight to the important stuff for your audience within any Atlassian product today!

:mouse_three_button: Before, it would take time to scroll to relevant content heading in an embedded window.

origxp.gif

:timer: After, you can load relevant heading content right away in an embedded window

newxp.gif

How to use this?

1. Click on a ‘hyperlink’ icon for a heading in a Confluence page you want to copy paste somewhere else.

2. After pasting, you can choose to display the Confluence Smart Link as an “embed”.

headicon.png--> embedicon.png

:heart: Anchored Smart Link embeds help you:

• Load relevant content immediately: Embed pages without scrolling through irrelevant sections

• Build a unified story: Tell a story through blocks of Confluence content across different Atlassian products.

• Provide better context: Reference rich content from any Confluence page without having to leave the page the embed page is presented on.

For example….:think:

👉 Ever feel like you’re constantly having to update the same information across multiple platforms?

With anchored embedded Confluence smartlinks, a section of text could be linked across multiple Atlassian objects/Confluence pages and edited from any one place. Add more confidence to the changes that come with working in agile environments!

embeddedflow.pngNow, any changes to the paragraph section will update automatically across multiple platforms hosting the embed content - no more lost update!

This works across many Atlassian products that use the editor:

• :confluence: Confluence - In the page body or page comments

• Jira - Issue descriptions

• :jira: Jira Software - In addition to Smart Link embeds, Jira Software has an even more powerful embedded page experience available. Learn more

• :jira-work-management: Jira Work Management

• :jira_service_desk: Jira Service Management

• :jira_align: Jira Align

• :trello: Trello - Create a Link Card by pasting a Confluence page URL into the title of your card. Click the preview button from your board view to open the embedded Confluence page

• Team Central - Status updates

We hope this enhances your everyday work flow in Confluence and the Atlassian suite. Enjoy! Leave any feedback in the comments below and stay tuned for more updates!

7 comments

Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2023

Anchored smart link embeds, I'm so in love! I recently played with anchors, and I dreamed about having a bit more functionality to it. This feature would resolve so many possible issues and reduce the time spent searching and digging!

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2023

It’s a great step @Annie Lieu I would be careful about the use of the term ‘anchor’ here though as it can cause confusion between page anchors and the hyperlink to heading that is being used to create these next-gen Smart Links. 

Like # people like this
Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2023

Nice! Wondering if this feature might (partially) remove the need for using 'excerpt macro' 🤔 Guessing sometimes it would be easier to just copy and paste hyperlinks to a heading, probably for some working materials/docs.

Like # people like this
Traci Wilbanks
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 10, 2023

Definitely easier to reference work from some other page @Tomislav Tobijas

However, the beauty of the Excerpt Include macro is that it can strip away the surrounding border to make the content look like it was authored inline on the page rather than being a reference to something that exists somewhere else.

Like # people like this
Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 30, 2023

I love dynamic content, and Smart Links are all about it. Just made a little video summarizing some of the latest enhancements: https://youtube.com/shorts/XqpYkWp0zgw?si=F3lDXDJb1a6GH6nz

Like # people like this
Stavros_Rougas_EasyApps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 4, 2023

If anyone needs to bulk edit links from URL to Smartlinks (or the reverse) we built an app called Link Editor by Easy Apps. It's also part of Easy Toolbox.

Like # people like this
Pierre Leroux February 11, 2024

@Annie Lieu would there be any reason it does not work for Jira Descriptions on my JIRA Cloud instance? I tried you simple 2 steps on one of the header we have in the bottom section of a JIRA page, and the embedded Confluence smartlink displays the top of the page instead of the section of the header link I copy-pasted. It does not work on my Confluence instance either, if I put a smartlink with this in another page, it displays the top of the page instead of my desired section of the page.

Like Andy Gladstone likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events