Discovering content just got easier with related pages!

33 comments

Cortlandt _ July 13, 2022

Having that functionality might be cool in a macro.   
The macro can be placed where we want it on the pages that we want it on.

But first, please explain in specific language how the feature works.

Like # people like this
pharkare July 14, 2022

I wish there was a way to influence the related page. I have a page for which I know there's a related page, but it won't show up.

I can always add a link in my text on the page, was hoping that would not be necessary.

This feature is helping a lot with existing pages as we can now check out the related pages without needing to edit any pages.

Like # people like this
Lisa Zanini July 27, 2022

This feature only seems to appear on some pages, but not others, what are the conditions for which pages it appears and for which pages it doesn't?

Like Cortlandt _ likes this
Rick Westbrock August 10, 2022

I have found that in the vast majority of cases the related pages are not helpful so in most cases I hide them. It would be great to have the ability on a specific page to selectively hide one or two of the automatically generated related pages instead of hiding all of them. I would imagine that if I could hide one of the related pages that the system would fill in a different page to fill that "slot".

A great long-term goal would be to create some sort of training mechanism where users can add specific pages as related so that the system can learn to better decide what to show as related pages. I know that's a lofty goal that would require serious machine learning but thought it was worth mentioning.

Logi Helgu August 11, 2022

I'm fighting hard to keep content updated and in the right place...but this functionality seems to be meant for people that don't feel like linking between content or using labels to show related content.  The issue of "Well, now what?" sounds to me one than comes from people that are not keeping content updated and don't give it the time to organize it.

I've been teaching people to use spaces for a long time now...that really helps having a dedicated space for a single topic...and I have label coming up on the agenda to help with managing content...and there the macro "content by label" can do "automatically" what this does (given the labels are used).

This functionality undermines my work and honestly makes Confluence look really bad when they link to irrelevant things...and when you've spent a lot of time teaching people to use spaces and have to shut this off on every space...I'm not happy...and quite honestly scared for the future of what you'll do next.

Sry for yet another negative commit, but this needs to be improved (or removed) soon, it was a try and miss :)

Heike Fischer August 11, 2022

Hello  @Tim Clipsham,
the feature sounds quite helpful in certain situations, for example for a space that we use as dedicated Knowledge Base (KB) for reviewed KB articles. Instead of manually linking pages with related content, the Related pages feature may help a lot.

Besides, we have dedicated spaces for specific content, while there are some contents spread across in other team spaces which contain related knowlegde. This feature can help teams to learn more from other teammates on complex topics as they look from a different perspective on a topic.

The feature is available in our sandbox, but there are no effects (feature is enabled in the sandbox space and the page is enabled for related pages), so I could not really analyse the effects.

I got some questions:

• Is there a chance to restrict the Related Pages feature to a specific space or spaces? Thus we can avoid mixing up irrelevant content.
  •  Does the Related pages feature works seemlessly with Scroll apps like Scroll Documents (by K15t)?
  • Am I right that the Related pages feature only looks for content driven by user behavior not based on text comparsion? Let's say, words in the body text of a page can be found on another page, so it is assumed that there is related content?
  • Works this feature on already existing content if enabled in a space? May be a stupid question but in our sandbox we have reliable content for testing reasons. 

Thank you!

Heike

Mahalie Stackpole September 23, 2022

First, I've been loving the 'Related pages' module, and, sorry to all the Confluence admins out there, but I love that it just appeared...otherwise it never would have made it to our org's much used but rarely curated space. Everyone in our space is crazy busy and this just did a lot of curation and work automagically. LOVE IT

Just want to ++ requests to have more control tho, in any of the following ways:

1. Overflow allows 'customize' in addition to 'hide from everyone' and you can make a page sticky (not smart) 
  2. Overflow allows 'Make stupid' (lol, er static?) or 'Convert to static pages' where you hand select all (if you don't want your cool smart thing comingling) 
  3. Add some kind of carousel page links module that allows folks to make their own related pages. If it exists I couldn't find it searching for carousel, tiles, links, pages, etc. Perhaps a 'See also' block if you really want to protect the 'Related pages' namespace
  4. Same as #3 but also let people make any of the three pages a 'smart tile' / 'auto recommended' (this is the inverse of first bullet)

Understand this is first release and you may already have some of this on your roadmap or have discarded the ideas for some reason...but as an end user I now have to pick between using this great feature or hand-building more prominent static related pages where there really is some other page that folks need to discover. The problem with the current 'Related pages' is that although it's super useful for pages that already get traffic is actually hurts traction on new pages where you want to direct traffic. Please don't make me remove it!!! I love the 'Related Pages' block!!!

Like # people like this
Jan Bauer October 26, 2023

Is there a way to disable "Related pages" as a per user Confluence setting for the new page template.

We mostly use Confluence for technical documentation. The hierarchy and linking between the pages is predefined, and we don't want arbitrary links between pages where we have no control of.

Currently it is super annoying that you need to revisit every page after its initial publish to remove "Related Pages". I would like to have it entirely disabled for every page I create.

Like Rick Westbrock likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events