Databases are coming soon to Confluence!

Update as of Jan 18th, 2024: 

Hey folks, the wait is over - we’re excited to let announce that Confluence databases is officially in Beta! All site admins who want to try databases can opt in into the experience from settings. Can’t wait to see everyone try out databases.

Join us on our private community group for Confluence Databases to tell us how you’re using databases and what you'd like to see. More importantly, if you aren’t using Confluence databases, we’d love to learn what’s missing for your teams in order to use the feature?

FYI: we will be migrating our EAP instances to Beta soon & closing the gap on the differences that exist today between EAP and Beta (for example: supporting media like images, referencing entries/values). We wanted to rollout the Beta version as soon as we could so all the folks that wanted to try databases can, as we iterate on it!

Previous post:

Hey there Community - we’re super excited to announce databases in Confluence! We have acquired Orderly Databases by K15t, a Platinum Marketplace Partner with multiple apps for Atlassian tools.

We are actively working on integrating k15t’s Orderly Databases into Confluence so a free public beta is in the works. Join the waitlist to be among the first to get access as soon as it’s available.

What are databases?

Databases are structured collections of information organized in tables, where advanced functionality makes it easy for you to change data and content as often as your work does.

Unlike traditional static tables, these dynamic tables have living fields where you can assign a teammate, pull in a Confluence page, or assign a status and reference inputs from anywhere in Confluence. Changes in one place automatically update everywhere else all at once!

databases image 1.png

databases image 2.png

Why databases?

We know that customers need a simple, flexible way to connect work in Confluence. Databases can bring together disparate information from wherever you do work into a single view. We’ve designed Confluence as a new way to help teams plan, connect, and organize work faster.

Databases are a great tool for a lot of use cases and for every team. Here are just a few examples for technical and non-technical teams:

Software: Build launch plans, collect feature requests, organize user interviews, prioritize, and score features.
Sales: Manage sales pipeline, keep account management team in sync, and monitor sales targets.

Marketing: Outline SEO keywords, track ad spend, run campaigns, manage vendor data, organize creative assets, triage survey results, collate leads list, launch email campaigns, and collate and prioritize campaign ideas.

databases marketing.png

HR: Track candidates, streamline new hire onboarding, manage hiring process, and create a list of hiring targets.

databases recruiter.png

Finance: Centralize and visualize financial data or strategy and planning pages

Project management and ops: Log decisions, plan budgets, track meetings, and aggregate requirement docs in one place

What are the benefits of Confluence databases?

• Connect and organize information
    • Make it quick and easy for multiple teams to store and retrieve data simultaneously.

• Get a holistic view of Jira tasks, Confluence pages, owners, due dates, status, and more in a single database.

• Stay up-to-date

• Real-time syncing ensures you and your team are always viewing the same and most current information

• Changes made to one database reflect immediately across every page that same database exists. No more manual updates in multiple locations!

• Display data your way

• Slice and dice data however you want using custom sorting and filter options.

• Display your databases as tables, cards, or boards.

Why have databases in Confluence?

So you may be wondering, why databases in Confluence? Well, we know teams want a way to store and reference simple, structured information in one place. So it only made sense to give you that option in Confluence – your single source of truth! – where everyone is already working, collaborating, and documenting knowledge.

Plus, teams with less structured work want flexibility and fewer constraints when capturing and shaping information. Databases deliver on that – you aren’t bound to one view or tied to manual updates across pages. You’re free to pivot and make changes, just as quickly as your work does!

What about tables?

If you’re attached to your tables, don’t despair. We will still have good ol' fashioned tables in Confluence since they’re still useful for quickly displaying information. And you can still use them to build different kinds of beautiful charts and graphs.

Confluence databases are coming soon!

We’re so excited for you to give databases a try soon and use Confluence as the collaborative knowledge hub for all your work––from early thinking phases to finished delivery. Join the waitlist for early access!

Cheers,

Divya (PM) + Siddharth (Eng) + Sami (Design)

127 comments

marc -Collabello--Phase Locked-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2023

Hi @Divya Sriram ,

That really sounds interesting.  Can we access the databases through the Confluence API?

Like # people like this
Fabrice Huart - NSI
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2023

Hi @Divya Sriram ,
What a great news, can't wait to start using it :)

Hope it will be able to connect to any kind of databases or rest api's.

Have a great day,

Fabrice

Like # people like this
Robert Hellmann April 19, 2023

Great news, it looks like this will be introduced in Confluence Cloud, will it be available in Confluence DataCenter as well?

Thanks and BR

Robert

Like # people like this
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2023

@Robert Hellmann As far as I understood from the announcement, all these recent innovations are cloud-only.

Like # people like this
Lars Fessler April 19, 2023

@Divya Sriram,

Great! I would like that for Data Center. Cloud will never be an option for us.

Best Regards,

Lars

Like # people like this
ines_mendes April 20, 2023

This will be a game-changer and benefit so many of our teams! Amazing!

Like Julian Dumitrascu likes this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 20, 2023

Finally, a Notion feature we've been waiting for so long.

Like # people like this
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 23, 2023

If you want to get a more detailed impression how Confluence Databases may look like, check out our existing videos for Orderly Databases:

I'm excited how it will finally look like when it's integrated into Confluence Cloud.

Like # people like this
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2023

Excited to see how this new addition works in the real time.

Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2023

It's definitely impressive. I'm curious to know the differences between Confluence Databases and the existing database feature in Notion, a side-by-side type of comparison. It seems like Confluence Databases will provide a more comprehensive integration and features. 

I am excited about that. I hope we see all that coming to Data Center at some point.

Like # people like this
Janet Dixon April 25, 2023

Looking forward to this new feature.  My users with huge tables will benefit from this!

bkchoi April 25, 2023

I’m really looking forward to it

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2023

Hands down my favorite announcement from Team '23. 🤞 `that we get into the beta.

Like # people like this
Keith Galloway May 4, 2023

@jameswason Car Parking Multiplayer sounds like a really boring game, I could just drive to a Walmart parking lot and do this in real life. Clever using ChatGPT to craft relevant comments to advertise your game though!

Keith Galloway May 4, 2023

For anyone wondering, I've used the addon pretty extensively and it's very polished for being such a new product. It's powerful enough in its current state, but I see huge things on the horizon if they've retained the original development team!

Like # people like this
andreas.kyriacou May 8, 2023

If you want to get a more detailed impression how Confluence Databases may look like, check out our existing videos for Orderly Databases:

@Matthias Gaiser _K15t_ Does this mean that Orderly will be integrated into Confluence or will Atlassian be directly competing with you (and Notion)?

edit: only skim-read the intro, sorry. Congrats on giving Confluence this important boost!

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

@andreas.kyriacou 

With K15t, Atlassian will not be competing, no. (Orderly Databases will be integrated to Confluence Cloud and renamed to Confluence Databases. Atlassian has acquired the app from K15t.)

With Notion, Atlassian will be competing, yes.

Like # people like this
andreas.kyriacou May 8, 2023

@Aron Gombas _Midori_ @Matthias Gaiser _K15t_ 

I saw the acquisition note in the intro only after submitting my question, sorry. But I have a follow up one: I had already considered suggesting internally that we evaluate Orderly, as the plugin seems to provide features we're longing for.

Will there be a more or less straight-forward migration path for existing Orderly databases? I. e. is it worth installing Orderly now to do some testing and preparatory work rather than to wait for the early beta?

(One thing I'd like to improve on our side is the curation of business rules. As we're currently not planning to use a rule engine with run-time functionality, we'd rather not introduce an additional tool to maintain them. Confluence tables are however not feature-rich for such a repository. But from what I saw and read, Orderly / Confluence databases could be the way to go.)

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

@andreas.kyriacou I saw an FAQ published by Atlassian after they announced the acquisition, which contained questions like yours, but I can't find it now. Someone from K15t should be more helpful for you, sorry.

Like andreas.kyriacou likes this
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

@andreas.kyriacou - I sincerely hope there will be a migration path for existing Orderly users, also because we at K15t are using the app quite heavily all across our Confluence instance. Other users started like this as well, so I'm quite confident that there will be some way to migrate - the question is probably how much manual work is involved there.

Having said that, you can't install Orderly Databases anymore right now. Atlassian removed the marketplace listing in order to prepare its integration into Confluence directly.

Like # people like this
andreas.kyriacou May 9, 2023

Thanks, I have since found the FAQ on the k15t website - and the notice, that Orderly has been removed from the marketplace. I have signed up for the beta.

Ok, ok, I'll wait...impatient-smiley-emoticon.gif

Like Divya Sriram likes this
Nathan Johnson May 16, 2023

Nice!

Dana Corl Kasarda May 23, 2023

Hi! Is there a timeline for the databases? Too excited!

Like # people like this
Nick Zervoudis May 30, 2023

Fantastic news! Orderly Databases filled a huge gap in Confluence for us, so it's great to hear it'll be part of the core product now. And huge congrats to the k15t team on the acquisition!

Echoing the question about migration. @atlassian, it would be a huge shame for you to alienate your most vocal supporters of this new feature (i.e. those of us already using Orderly extensively) by making it painful for us to migrate across. As we create new databases regularly, it would be great to get advance notice of how you plan to integrate Orderly into Confluence as soon as possible.

Like Matthias Gaiser _K15t_ likes this
danmachen June 5, 2023

Allowing the orderly database fields to be populated through JIRA to Confluence automation would be highly valuable! 

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events