Confluence Labels got an upgrade

Hi Everyone,

My name is Sekajipo Taplah, and I’m a Product Manager on the Confluence Cloud team.

Confluence labels are key words that you can add to pages to make them easier to organize and find by topic. For example, you could add the recruiting label to pages related to finding and hiring new talent so you can easily see all your recruiting pages across all spaces.

We’ve heard from many of you that it’s difficult to add labels or see where labels are, and we’re happy to share an upgraded experience for adding labels. Previously, you had to click on a small, easy-to-miss button in the lower right corner of a page to add a label. Now, there’s a clear + Add labels button (left aligned to page content) at the bottom of a published page.

image-20220826-001541 (1)-min.png

In addition, adding labels no longer takes over your screen and instead shows as an in-line dropdown.

image-20220826-001548-min.png

What’s next?

The team is currently working on making labels smarter with suggested labels, to streamline and add more efficiency to your work. If you want to join the early beta test program for suggested labels you can signup here!

rec_label2.gif

Feedback or Questions

We want your feedback! Please drop any comments or questions below 👇 and stay tuned for more improvements. 

16 comments

G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2022

Ah, finally an update to labels and this very appealing and time saviour.

Like # people like this
Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2022

Thanks for the update @Sekajipo Taplah! I can't access the Google Forms though, it says it is restricted to your organization.

Sekajipo Taplah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 30, 2022

@Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_ It should be open now !

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 30, 2022

Very valuable update. Thanks for sharing @Sekajipo Taplah

Like Sekajipo Taplah likes this
Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 31, 2022

Make labels easier to find and use?! Yes please!
I feel like the team is doing a great job of taking features that have existed for a long time and getting them in front of people. Finally!

Like # people like this
Jason Shawn September 7, 2022

This is great thank you for sharing this.

Can we have the ability to limit user access to Labels and be able to manage them ie delete them, add a standard list, and have the ability to add them to similar pages in bulk? 

Like # people like this
Sean Phelan September 8, 2022

This is a useful update, hopefully you will continue to mine the value from labels. As described above the manage of labels is valuable - but also the ability to add tags/labels to specific parts of the content. This would allow very simple complex tagging which can make bringing together more than one page extremely easy.  How to see that in the future.

Anne Saunders
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2022

This is several steps in a good direction!

I second the utility of a "Bulk Edit" option like @Jason Shawn recommended.

If I want to (for instance) re-label everything the DevOps team added a "Maint" label to as "Maintenance" then remove the "Maint" label, the only way to really do that right now is:

• set up a page with two content report tables (one for each label),
  • manually open each one on the "Maint" report and relabel them to "Maintenance,"
  • continually check to make sure I actually applied the label to each page I should have.

It's a little clunky.

Like # people like this
Erik Boelen September 8, 2022

Great!
Is there a gradual roll-out for this nice feature? It seems I am still on the old label-system?!

Also, is it possible to get a counter that counts the number of pages with a particular label?

Like # people like this
Gaby
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2022

Class - excellent - thank you
looking forward to the implementation of further label optimization shown in the preview

Greetings - Gaby

Andréas Johansson September 9, 2022

Very nice. I also agree that bulk edit would be a very nice addition.

Stiltsoft Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 11, 2022

I love the new label look. Now it's easier to locate and add new labels in Confluence. Thank you for bringing this update to us!

As many users are interested in bulk updates and adding labels to similar pages, I can suggest integration of the status with the page label. Once the status changes, the label is also updated. So your page labels will be up-to-date and consistent. 

status and label.gif

This can be implemented with our Handy Status from Handy Macros for Confluence

Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 12, 2022

This is a great update @Sekajipo Taplah! I was just trying to use labels to associate some pages a few weeks ago and found the experience frustrating! Loving the new look! 

Mathias N. September 14, 2022

@Sekajipo Taplah Thanks for the info about the updates to labels. I was thrilled while reading "The team is currently working on making labels smarter", because I expected that you are going to allow inherited labels for child pages.

Seems like it is not part of your current plans. :(

There is the 7 years old feature request: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-39457

I think Inherited labels would be enormous important to unfold the power of labels and the structure they provide for your content  with the reports (task, decisions, pages etc.)  that are based on them. Right now users are forced to add labels manually every time. This calls for mistakes and sounds not effective.

So please consider this for future ambitions to make labels smarter. 

Anne Saunders
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 14, 2022

I just had a reason to go through one of our spaces and do some standard, real tidy-up (rather than a one off test to check the new feature out.)

The experience is SO MUCH BETTER. 

Lee Stafford October 5, 2022

Very nice update.  Any conversations around adding the ability to attach a label a particular section or highlighted content within a page?  Therefore, adding the flexibility of having more diverse topics on a particular page and still having the ability to reference it from a "contents by label" macro or something?   I believe that would be extremely helpful.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events