Confluence Content Management: Part 11

Deleting a Space

A few times a year, I hunt through my Confluence application looking for unused spaces. Here’s an example.

archive-space.png

Last month the software team requested a global space for a special project. But the special project never happened and the space wasn’t used. No content was added or changed since its original creation date. Now there’s a choice to make.

As I’ve mentioned before, I never recommend deleting content, but in this case, it’s literally a blank space with no value. The pages that exist were created by default and have no custom content. I feel alright deleting this space under these circumstances. Here’s how to do it.

archive-space-delete.png

To delete a space in Cloud, go to the space settings area and click the ”manage space” option in the left sidebar. Then click the “Delete space” tab. (Don’t worry - there’s a warning message before the deletion!)

When users delete content, it’s held in a trash area for 30 days and can be restored.

Space deletions are different however. All content is removed forever and not recoverable. Again, I only delete spaces if there’s no content. When content exists, use the archive option instead.

archive-space-delete-server.png

In Server and Data Center, the “Delete Space” tab is on the admin overview page. Just like in Cloud, there’s a warning that deletion is forever.

Part 12: Archival Permissions

1 comment

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2023

@Rachel Wright a recommended edit to this page is to mention whether deleting a space will make the space key available for future use or not. I won't spoil it by posting the answer here...

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events