📣 Beta: Folders in Confluence!

👋 Hi Confluence Community,

We’re super excited to announce that we’ve started our beta rollout for one of the top-requested features in Confluence, 🗂️ Folders!

We're starting with a limited release to a set of customers in order to get feedback on key user journeys and iron out any wrinkles. However, if you're an admin for your Confluence instance and want to enroll in the folders beta, then please fill out this form.

2024-07-15_15-15-15 (1).gif

Folders FAQ

Can I still use parent pages?

Yes! Folders are purely additive — nothing will change about your ability to create parent pages.

How are folders and parent pages different?

A folder is a simpler kind of container — it’s just a place to store your content. In contrast, a parent page is a container with a “Read Me” built into the container itself. Use a parent page when you want to provide additional information or context on what’s inside the container. Use a folder when you simply want to group similar content.

When should I use folders?

Using a folder likely makes more sense than a parent page when you need a simple container to organize related content. In other words, if you would have created a blank parent page or a parent page with only the Child Pages macro, then a folder likely makes more sense.

Based on customer feedback over time, parent pages seem most useful in traditional knowledge base / wiki spaces, whereas folders seem more useful in project, team, collaborative, or hybrid use-cases.

Try folders today! Beta sign-up process

You and your team can sign up NOW to try out folders. All Free, Standard, Premium, and Enterprise customers are welcome to sign up for this beta. 

In order to participate in this beta, you’ll need someone in an administrative role at the site or organization level to sign up. Interested in the beta but not an admin? Message your admin to sign up!

1. Step 1: Admins can sign up here.

2. Step 2: You will receive an email from us confirming that you’ve been enrolled.

3. Step 3: Join the beta community group

4. Step 4: You're good to go!

Can’t wait to hear your thoughts!

Ned, on behalf of the Confluence team

12 comments

Kristian Klima
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2024

That's interesting... takes me back to "this page is intentionally left blank" days of printed manuals :D

One of the reasons I hate dislike git-based CMS tools is the inability of most, if not all, to have a parent page with meaningful content :) 

Having said that, people migrating to a sensible CMS ;) do miss that and I have to admit it does work for certain types of content and use-cases.

Like # people like this
Ned Lindau
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 15, 2024

@Kristian Klima Thanks for the response!

To this point:

"One of the reasons I hate dislike git-based CMS tools is the inability of most, if not all, to have a parent page with meaningful content :)"

This is precisely why we are still allowing users to create parent pages. Folders is simply an alternative for those cases where your container doesn't need meaningful content.

Like # people like this
Kristian Klima
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2024

@Ned Lindau - that 'we're still allowing create parent pages' sounds ominous :)

Please, don't take the parent pages from me!

Like # people like this
Ned Lindau
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 15, 2024

Haha definitely not intended to be ominous. Let me try again: Folders are purely additive and give users another way to organize their content. If folders don't make sense for your use-case, you will certainly be able to continue using parent pages. Or, you can use both!

Like # people like this
Kristian Klima
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 15, 2024

[sigh of relief]

Like # people like this
Luis Andino Rodriguez July 15, 2024

This is really exciting love the idea of organizing my confluence spaces even more 

Like # people like this
Scott Beeson _CIS_ July 16, 2024

So a folder is just a page you can't view, right?

Steven Rhodes July 17, 2024

This feature looks promising and its one step further to making Confluence into a document management system. I'll play with it in our test environment and provide feedback if necessary.

(While the feature in beta is open to all subscription types, I hope that I am not going to get burned by participating in this when Atlassian inevitably say this feature is only for premium and enterprise, thereby treating Confluence Standard users as 2nd class citizens again for the n-th time despite paying them a six figure sum per year to use it. Its getting to be quite a drag).

Scott Beeson _CIS_ July 17, 2024

I have requested to join the beta community group, but meantime I have a problem:

You cannot use Folders as a filter for macros.

I commonly will use a "parent page" filter for a page properties report. I thought I could replace my "Active Projects" page with a folder. Nope. :(

Like Ned Lindau likes this
Ned Lindau
Atlassian Team
July 17, 2024

@Scott Beeson _CIS_ thanks for calling this out! Would love to chat more about how this would work in your eyes — will also see to it that you get added to the beta.

Ned Lindau
Atlassian Team
July 17, 2024

@Steven Rhodes don't worry — folders is available to all Confluence editions.

Like Steven Rhodes likes this
flex
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2024

Good bye~! 'Archived' parent page

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events