Backing up or restoring a single space? Use the new CSV space export/import!

Hey everyone, my name is Steven and I’m a product manager on Confluence. We just released an update to exporting spaces intended for re-import into Confluence Cloud.

In space settings, you’ll now find an additional option to export your space to CSV. Going forward, this will be the preferred way for single space exports that you intend for re-import into Confluence Cloud as this format provides reliability, performance, and scale improvements over the existing XML space export format.

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 1.05.22 PM.png

You’ll be able to import these CSV space exports into Confluence Cloud using the same import spaces UI in site administration.

If you are looking to backup an entire site, please continue to use site export - but we are planning on launching overhauls of backup/restore functionality as well as the ability to consolidate cloud sites more easily later this year!

If you have existing XML space exports that you took previously, you will still be able to import them into cloud using the same import spaces UI in site administration. We recommend though that you use the CSV format for future exports intended to be imported into cloud.

Please note, you will not be able to import CSV space exports into Confluence Server or Data Center, please continue to use the XML export format if you wish to do so.

12 comments

marc -Collabello--Phase Locked-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2023

Will the CSV export also handle content properties and macros?

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Steven Bao
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 5, 2023
Like # people like this
Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2023

Nice. Thanks for the update!

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Tim Eddelbüttel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2023

CSV is more reliable over the XML?

I personally wouldn't agree if I look the the CSV experience of Jira when it comes to encoding, multiline content and control character issues.

But I will give it a try.

//EDIT: I see, the exported files looks like an export of the corresponding database tables and not something a big "preprared" CSV file.

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2023

Thanks for releasing this! I'm always up for more reliable space exports and imports.

FYI, not seeing this in my Cloud instances yet, but it might be a release track delay. 😁

Like # people like this
Steven Bao
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 16, 2023

Hey @Dave Liao - yes, we are progressively rolling this out and if you're on release tracks you will be one of the last to get the change.

Like # people like this
Danja Karenko June 22, 2023

Thank you! Does the CSV export contain drafts and unpublished changes? :)

Like # people like this
Matt Fleming August 30, 2023

This is great! So, to clarify... if I do an XML or a CSV backup, that'll back up all the images as well? 

Steven Bao
Atlassian Team
September 1, 2023

Yes, it will contain drafts and unpublished changes as well as images.

Like Tomislav Tobijas likes this
morgan.wirth
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 17, 2023

Images don't seem to be working in the import of the csv for me.  I just end up with a 'Creating preview...' message.

Patrick October 24, 2023

Is there a way to automate this? 

Suyash Jain _Appfire_ February 14, 2024

Hi, I would like to know if this can be automated. We do not want to have complete cloud site backup as restoration is hard. Thanks

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events