Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A site or Organisation admin has left my organisation! How do I assign a new admin?

Sometimes we don't have much notice of a colleague leaving the organisation and in those times we may be in a scramble to get access to systems and tools that a colleague managed.

In the case of Atlassian products, you may find that you are without a Site and Org admin and you need to rectify this.

One way to grant more people Org Admin rights, in this case, would be to gain access to the email account of the old Org/Site Admin and use that account to log into Atlassian and grant the appropriate people admin access.

Further, it is always best practice to revoke the old org admin rights and nominate backup org admins to mitigate this issue from reoccurring.

Below are the steps to regain control of your Atlassian Organisation:

1. Contact your IT department to temporarily re-activate and grant you access to the email account of the Org admin.
  2. Once you have access to that email account, navigate to https://id.atlassian.com/login/resetpassword and input the email address. This will trigger the reset password process.
  3. Once the password is reset you can log in by navigating to https://id.atlassian.com/ and using the old admin's account and the new password you set in step 2.
  4. You can then follow the steps in Give user admin access and assign the appropriate users the admin roles.
  5. Remove the old admin access > Removing an Org admin access

2 comments

Abhay Gupta
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2022

Thank you for this article, @Elelta D 👍

Admin CAIRO AG
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 26, 2024

Hi Elelta,

out Org Admin left the company about half a year ago.

I tried your seggestions, reactivated the email address and have access to it.

Then i tried to reset the pwd for this email address but i do not get a link via email but other email go

into the email box.

Is it possible that the reset password process does not work for us?

Best regards,

Claus

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events