cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage with templates to make Database usage more user-friendly

Rudy Holtkamp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2024

Hi,

Currently we use a page property table within a template and on a separate page we use different page property reports (which can be very slow, but it works (ish)).

I would really love to use Confluence Database for this, and tried to do this. But it is very cumbersome. This is what I need to do:

1. Create a page and put some content in it, save it
  2. Go to the database and add the link of the page, and some meta data I normally track within the page.
  3. Copy the row, click on the copy link button
  4. Edit the page, and past the database link

This is very cumbersome and error prone. So this is what I want:

1. Create a database, with relevant fields
  2. Use a database macro which points to the database in my template
  3. When I create a page from template, I will see a table where I can put my metadata in. This will automatically create a database entry once I save the page.
  4. In the database I can see the new page link with all the metadata I provided.

Is this use case already available and did I just not see it. If not could you consider this a feature request?

Thanks,

Rudy

1 answer

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Rudy Holtkamp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2024

Ok, I just found out that you can create pages during a database entry, so the feature request would be that you can use a template to create the page, where the row information you just entered would also be visible.

Tami Dubi January 29, 2024

Hi,

The solution offered for creating a page/ template from the database is great if you are the owner of the database and also the one who creates new content.

I want to consider also a different use case, where we create a process that multiple users are creating pages from templates and they are not responsible or should care about for the database. For them it is something they might need to fill as part of the template and that's that. 

I am missing a macro in pages & templates of creating a new a row from an existing database. This way, for instance, I can create a unified policy template for the entire org, so that the metadata of all the policies is updated everytime  a new policy is published. with tags & labels I can manage the differentiation between team & departments. 

Filip Callewaert
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 29, 2024

in alpha the macro "add database entry" was available; I see that in beta this is not the case - I do expect it to come back to public release!!

Like Bernd Raesig likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events