Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

📄 New page creation updates within Databases!

Hey folks,

We’re super excited to announce a new database capability.

Based on feedback, we heard that you wanted more configurability and power when it came to creating pages from a database.

Now, in the page link field you’ll be able to;

1. Choose either fixed or dynamic page locations

• Fixed: New pages will always be created as child pages of the selected parent item

• Dynamic: New pages will be created as child pages from wherever you are editing

• Including the database itself or any page it is embedded on
  1. Use both a page template AND a database entry macro

• Previously, users had to choose between either adding a page using a page template OR displaying the database entry macro. Today, you can have both!

Light (1).png

community post 2.png

We hope you enjoy these new changes!

As always, please leave your thoughts and feedback on how we can continue to improve the experience.

Thanks,

Christina Ristevski | Databases Product manager

15 comments

Comment

Anne Saunders
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2024

I was cautiously optimistic about Confluence Databases when they were first in Beta, and your team is consistently exceeding expectations. This is great!

Like • # people like this
Christina Ristevski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 6, 2024

@Anne Saunders thanks for the kind words! Do let us know if there's anything we can do to improve your experience 😄

Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 11, 2024

Amazing news @Christina Ristevski!

Here's the shareable video version of the news.

Like • Dave Mathijs likes this
M Amine
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2024

That's great news.

Sarah S Allis October 9, 2024

Being able to include both a template and the db macro is a step in the right direction, but you really need to be able to add the db macro TO a template. I can see a lot of use cases where you will need different templates in a single database depending on data in the entry fields. Hopefully that's coming soon!

Anne Saunders
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2024

@Sarah S Allis YES! I have a use case for the DB Macro in page templates. 

Like • Sarah S Allis likes this
Rodolfo Romero - Adaptavist October 9, 2024

There are 2 features that I would love to see added to databases.

1. Calculated fields. Nothing too complexed but it would be great to have the option to show sum or average of column, and do simple operations (+, -, *, /) and store the value in another column.

2. Bar, pie and line charts based on a table.

Great job so far btw!

Thanks,

Rodolfo

Anne Saunders
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 9, 2024

@Christina Ristevski I thought of another one as I'm working on a pretty major Confluence database project - I'd like the option to make pretty hyperlinks that aren't SmartLinks. 

When I link a Google Drive asset or a Slack channel, SmartLinks are great. 

When I want to store a URL to a ...not-so-smart asset, like a HubSpot Deal or a Harvest Project, my only option is a naked URL, which is not especially human readable.

This means that it's impossible to see without clicking the link whether the linked item is current or from a previous engagement or project.

LAL October 9, 2024

Where can i find the documentation for creating pages from database?

Marek Kowalczuk October 10, 2024

Is there any work planned to improve the way data is referenced?

123.png

Would be nice if the referenced value looked as if it was simply written in the table there (maybe with a small icon indicating that the value comes from a DB), but instead there is a huge box surrounding it, taking a lot of space...

Robert Lundberg
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 10, 2024

Databases In Confluence are great, but the filters desperately need to be improved. They don't even have basic functionality, such as 'Date > Today', etc - Can only chose 'real' dates. Filters need to have 'code' type options so you can filter by 'field contains', 'like%', general operators '<>=', etc. Even Excel has this type of basic filter!!!

Elmer Hahn October 10, 2024

Hi, instead of embedding an iframe of the database, I would much rather and it would load much faster if we could just smart value reference cells, rows and columns of the database. 

The iframe embed is limiting in the way we can really utilize the contents and format their display.

Anne Saunders
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 10, 2024

@Elmer Hahn I love this! I don't want to embed the whole database *anywhere*! I just want a subset of data to be visible other places!

Elmer Hahn October 10, 2024

@Anne Saunders Agreed, I really want to be able to just write a page or pages, about a product or service I am working on and refence a cell in the database. That way I can update the database and the pages update without needing to edit every page one by one. It would allow more dynamic content to be created.

Like • Jeroen Westenberg likes this
Kuzma Fesenko
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 10, 2024

Appreciate this update. The ability to use both a page template and a database entry macro was one of the first features I was looking for when I started using databases.

Hoping that there will be some updates to the Confluence Databases API to view and modify rows within the database.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events