Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

create anchor new editor

Дмитрий_Чистов March 6, 2020

How do I create an anchor within a single page in a new editor? I only see that you can create a link to an external resource

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2020

Hi @Дмитрий_Чистов 

Anchors don't work the same way in the new editor - the Anchor macro no longer functions, you can only link to a header within a page - to do this..

In view mode, hover over a header and a link icon will appear to the left-hand side - copy it from here. Then you can use it to link from one part of the page to another. You can also link to other pages, issues in Jira, etc.

To see what macros are no longer available in the new editor, see this page

Ste

kirthyiyer May 13, 2020

Thank you! I was also looking for this and this solution works. :-)

Rob Gilliam May 20, 2020

So if I have some content on a page (e.g. a "latest version" section) which might be superseded by future updates, but I want existing pages to keep working, how do I do that?

Currently I put a "latestversion" anchor next to the header describing the latest version. All other pages just need to link to that anchor.

The header-specific anchor will (obviously) change as new version headers are added.

Like Marian Vidra likes this
Tomas Sleurs October 29, 2020

So in the end, is there a way to link to a specific place in a different page or even the same page without using an anchor or not?

The solution that was given by you doesn't work. I gave a place in my document a certain heading but I still can't link to it and don't get any option to do so.

If this doesn't work I have to say this is one of the most basic functionalities I'd expect and it is available in Onenote, Evernote, Word, Google Docs, etc...

Please create a macro that allows users to create custom links to anywhere.

Like # people like this
Martin H. Røst November 11, 2020

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ I wouldn't call this easy to do. It requires you have to TWO tabs open, and hopefully the user has TWO screens, or else it requires the user to swap between tabs. In my case I just want to link from one section of the document to a headline within the same document. So I need to open one tab with the document in view mode, and one tab with the same document in edit mode. If it only was possible to get hold of the link in edit mode, this would have been a lot more simplified. 

I have a document with a table of content widget, but this is not avaiable in edit mode, and it's not easy to guess what the anchor name is. 

Like # people like this
Lucas Saba November 20, 2020

Anchoring should be available to any specific piece on the document.

For requirement writing, it would be much easier for users to be able to click on a specific requirement number that they're looking for versus having to scroll through tons of requirements to find the use case they want to see.

Also agree that this isn't an "easy" solution as it truly requires you to go back and forth between two tabs, when you have a ton of headers it isn't ideal. It should also be documented somewhere more visible as most things that appear in help docs are related to the macro that only exists in the old editor... took me quite a while to get to this answer and it's definitely frustrating.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 21, 2020

Hi @Tomas Sleurs 

Can you describe your issue in more detail, if it remains?

You should be able to link to a header as described, although there are some limitations when the header is inside a table, a panel, etc. See CONFCLOUD-69198 for more information!

------------------

Hi @Martin H. Røst

There are improvements being made to the anchors, such as through CONFCLOUD-69198 (see above).

You could also vote/comment on this suggestion which is more specific to your needs - CONFCLOUD-68447 

------------------

Hi @Lucas Saba

There are a few other options also:

• Table of Contents: Creates a table of contents at the top of the page, based on headings on the page. This would be in place of anchors on the same page.
  • Pages Properties / Page Properties Report: Together these could create a summary of various pages in one table, if requirements are on multiple pages.

-----------------

In all instances, I believe the legacy editor remains available also - see this answer here - as a further alternative, whilst the existing functionality is enhanced :)

Ste

3 votes
kgrossman August 5, 2020

This is an incredibly frustrating solution for an incredibly frustrating new editor.  I am linking from our user website where they type in a request for a specific resource and the link leads them to our Knowledge Base Atlassian page.  We want to anchor the link to a specific area of the page and I am unable to see the hierarchy of the original page, which was not created by me, to determine if I have to turn each box into a header.  This is incredibly time consuming, frustrating and I'd really like to go back to the old editor where I can just have an anchor.  Clearly there must be an easier solution?  I also do NOT see any link add options when I hover over a header.  

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 5, 2020

Hi @kgrossman 

There's nothing stopping you from continuing to use the legacy editor if you prefer. This article confirms that the legacy editor is still available.

It's possible to create a legacy page as one of the templates when creating a new page. If it's not there, you can try reaching out to Atlassian Support to see if they can activate it for you.

When you mention hierarchy of the original page, what are you referring to? Was this page converted from the legacy editor to the new experience? Let me know some more specifics around what steps there are here and I'll see if I can help :)

Ste

kathryn_colombo September 22, 2020

Totally agree with kgrossman, that just doesn't make sense. google docs should not be better than confluence, and yet here we are. I know i'm being incredibly salty right now, but it took me an HOUR to find the answer to this question, and the purpose of this platform is to make cataloging and recording information easier. It's hilarious that it's this hard to find a simple--though incredibly frustrating and inconvenient--answer. 

Like # people like this
2 votes
Susanne Ertle February 4, 2021

Cloud is getting less and less usable. I might be able to work around using headings in some cases, but you have to leave the Editor, copy the link in view mode and then go back into the Editor to actually create the link????? Anything but user friendly.

1 vote
Antonio García December 23, 2020

I think it really sucks that the new editor comes at the price of killing functionality that previously existed. It's about adding not substracting. Now we need to look for "workarounds" for things that were easily accessible in the past.

1 vote
Marian Vidra October 15, 2020

I always found Anchor macros very handy and don't understand what was the reason to remove them from the new editor. If you come up with something new, it's good to keep good old things they worked previously. Keep that in mind!

1 vote
Penguin June 21, 2020

Hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 

I am trying to create a simple link from the bottom of a page to the top using a predefined anchor like #top or something as the link.

The closest I have got to making this work is entering the entire hyperlink of the current page (which of course we are already on anyway) and then adding the #anchor of the first heading on the page, but this is not the top of the page.

Is there a Secret Squirrel hyperlink that I can add to some text that just goes straight to the top of the current page?

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 22, 2020

Hi @Penguin 

Not that I know of - Confluence Cloud now just has anchors within the titles rather than from any point on the page.

If linking to the page itself (rather than an anchored title) isn't sufficient - have you considered:

1. Create a new title called "Top of Page" at the top of the page
  2. Make the title H6 - to make it as small as possible
  3. Make the title white (or whatever colour your page background is) so it is not visible
  4. Save the page, copy the hyperlink for the new title and re-edit
  5. Add your link at the bottom of the page back to the new invisible title at the top

^ It's a work-around and does mean your main text sits slightly below the top, but it will allow you to have the anchor without a visible extra title :)

Ste

Like Penguin likes this
Penguin June 23, 2020

Thank you for pointing in the right direction.  I did it slightly differently in the end but used your idea.

My page has a landing page and then about 20 sub pages (chapters) and the first line on every chapter page is a hyperlink back to the landing page, so I simply made this line Heading 5 instead of normal text, and then I limited the table of contents on each chapter page to only levels 1-4.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events