Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Confluence automatically create spaces for new users?

Chris Puffe February 3, 2021

When we add new users to confluence, a personal space is automatically created.  Is there a way to disable this?

4 answers

2 votes
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2021

Hmm.. That is interesting. I am seeing a link Add Personal Space in my profile until I click this it should not be created..

Overall you should be able to check Confluence Settings > Global Permission who is able to create Personal Spaces.. Maybe removing permissions to all groups would be a solution for you?

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2021

That's the only thing I can think of too, but it shouldn't create it for them right away..

Chris Puffe February 4, 2021

Thanks Mirek & Kian.  I've disabled the ability for people to create personal spaces in the global settings which should alleviate the issue for the time being.

Cheers. 

Like Mirek likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 6, 2021

Hi everyone,

Thank you for reporting this and helping investigate. I know that I commented with another feature request in another answer, but I discovered a related one that has to do with personal space creation during onboarding.

• CONFCLOUD-71300 Ability to disable the personal spaces creation automatically

Disabling personal space creation permissions like @Chris Puffe mentioned seems to be the workaround for the time being.

Thanks for sharing how you solved it, and please vote on the feature request to get more visibility.

Take care,

Shannon

Like Deleted user likes this
0 votes
Steven Mustari July 22, 2021

Did we ever get a more definitive answer to this?

I'm noticing this behavior as well. It only started happening after I created a personal space in my parent company's Confluence and starred it. Every client instance I log into now (for the first time) creates a personal space automatically, stars it, and adds the pages mentioned above.

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 8, 2021

Hello everyone,

I realize it's been some time since this discussion, but I wanted to step in here to clarify a few things.

Personal space creation isn't automatic, but I could see how someone might do so accidentally. Referring to our space creation documentation, to create a personal space, all one has to do is click the profile picture on the right side of the navigation and choose the option to create a personal space.

The Sample Pages, however, are part of an automated process. We have a feature request to disable the sample page creation. You can vote on the ticket below to give your support. Please note that you may find that you need to log in again before doing so!

• CONFCLOUD-71286 Ability to disable the sample pages created automatically with the personal spaces

Thank you, and take care.

Shannon

Mattias Larsson August 10, 2021

Oh, but these personal spaces are indeed created automatically. I'm administrating a cloud subscription myself, and every time a new user signs in, a personal space (which is also made public) is created. Very annoying since this floods the space overview.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2021

@Chris Puffe, I don't know of any configuration or setting that would automatically create  a space for users. I just tried it in a test site of mine and I'm not seeing an automatic space created.

What is the behavior you are seeing?

Thanks,

Kian

Chris Puffe February 3, 2021

Generic spaces (example below) are being created and when we ask the user about it, they (multiple if not all) have said that they didn't create a Confluence space.  They all have the same child pages (meeting notes, sample pages, etc) but again, no one physically creates any of this.

Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 3.47.59 PM.png

Nicola Hobby May 26, 2023

Has this issue been resolved? Our organization also is experiencing new users spaces created. How do we turn off this configuration? 

Like Mike Flanigan likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events