Which blueprint/template is used when connecting a confluence space in Jira?

Rigor Mortensson April 20, 2020

I'm in a next-gen software project. I go to "Pages" in the project menu, and under:

Connect this project to a Confluence space to use pages

I click the button "Connect a space", then select "Create a new confluence space".

Where is the blueprint/template for the space that is created?
How can I modify it?

Specifically I want to be able to add and remove default items in the left-side column of that space. But I want that to happen for every new space that I connect, rather than having to edit the template for each space after it's been created.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 28, 2020

Hello Rigor,

Welcome to Atlassian Community! It's nice to meet you.

I've confirmed this on my site, but you create a space in Confluence via the Next-Generation Project, a blank space is created. This space will come already be linked to your Next-Gen project in Jira.

You mentioned wanting to modify the default items in the left-side column of the space. In my case, there are no default pages created when I create a space via my Next-Gen Project. Could you show me which default pages you're trying to modify? You should see Overview and Blog, but you can remove these in your space settings.

For your information, Blueprints are created in Confluence similarly to add-ons, which means they must be developed programmatically and installed. Have a look at our developer documentation on Blueprints in Confluence for more information on that. For this reason, Blueprints, including the blank space Blueprint, are not possible to modify, outside of the individual Page Templates

You may also want to have a look at the various page tree-related add-ons available at Atlassian Marketplace. These would allow you to set up a page tree that you can automatically copy over each time so you don't have to spend too much time setting up your new space.

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Shannon

0 votes
Rigor Mortensson April 28, 2020

Hello Shannon,

Thank you for investigating this and providing some feedback!

That's correct, a blank space is created and among the pre-defined menu items are "Overview" and "Blog". My concern was if there was a way to add or remove these pre-defined items. So instead of having to edit the space settings for each new space that is created, I can just add a new space and the items are already there (e.g. perhaps "Blog" is gone and instead there is a nwe custom item).

As I understand your answer this cannot be done without using programmed add-ons. I will take a look at the links you provided.

Thanks very much!

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 28, 2020

Hello Rigor,

Thank you for following-up.

Those pre-defined items are across Confluence itself, and aren't specific to a Blueprint. It's unfortunately possible to define a default space sidebar. You'll need to disable those options and add your Space Shortcuts on each space one at a time.

I've found a feature request below to be able to modify the text of those options and also set a sidebar default. Please vote on the feature to show it's something you'd be interested in:

Let me know if you have any questions about that!

Shannon

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events