Where did the user activity feed go?

roovy March 18, 2022

It's been a while since I've used confluence but I'm looking to implement it at my new job. I remember there beings an activity feed section which showed all the contributions from every user. I believe it was at this URL:

https://{{company}}.atlassian.net/wiki/discover/all-updates

Here's a screenshot of this page I found from another company from 2 years ago.

Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 4.22.03 PM.png

I'm struggling to find an equivalent in the latest updated version of Confluence Cloud. It seems its been fragmented into seeing my own recent activity and following others activity.

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish. I want to get raw data of all the contributions from every single user within the Space. I want to use that data to showcase which users are contributing the most to our internal documentation as a way to encourage engagement. I used to get it from this old activity page.

Is there another way to get access to it? I looked through the API but didn't see something for overall activity.

Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2022

Hi @roovy 

This isn't something I've seen native to the new home, but home didn't really exist on the old UI either.

Home is designed to be bespoke for each user - so that's why the Discover what's happening area can be customised to be popular pages, or Spaces/Users a user is following - relevant to them.

You could though...

• Set a Space to be the site homepage. This is listed next to the "Home" button, and is the page users are directed to when pressing the Confluence icon, or logging in. To do this...
    • As a Confluence Admin, select Settings > Further Configuration
    • Press Edit, then change the Site Homepage to a Space, and press Save
      • It can sometimes take a few minutes to activate once set
  • Next, go to the new Site Homepage Space - and edit the overview page to include one of these macros...
    • Recently Updated - set Space(s) to @all
    • Recently Updated Dashboard - this can show updates from more than one Space - but I don't think the @all option is available

This is the alternative I've found to meet the above need :)

Ste

roovy March 21, 2022

Thank you, this was very helpful!

Do you know if its possible to retrieve this recently updated section via api?

Ultimately, I'm trying to see all the modifications/contributions that our team mates are adding. This gives it to me on a front end, but I need the actual raw data to be able to say that this specific user did X number of contributions over X time frame.

Thanks again!

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2022

Hi @roovy 

I'm not sure, it's not something I've tried before - but check out these links...

...which might help find a way to do this!

Ste

Like roovy likes this
roovy March 25, 2022

Hi Stephen, 

I just wanted to say that someone in the developer community helped me figure out a workaround to get the data I needed.

https://community.developer.atlassian.com/t/how-to-retrieve-recent-updates-contributions-via-api/56846/4?u=roovy

Essentially, I'm able to search through all recently edited pages and then pull the time and user ID of who edited them last.

Here's the python code I used to make this work

import requests, json
from requests.auth import HTTPBasicAuth

def get_conf_update():
    '''
    '''
    host = "https://{{company_url}}.atlassian.net"
    username = "{{username}}"
    api_key = "{{api_key}}"

#I only cared for page and attachment updates, you can add comments too
    url = f"{host}/wiki/rest/api/content/search?cql=type%20in%20(page,attachment)%20order%20by%20lastmodified%20desc&limit=25"
    auth = HTTPBasicAuth(username, api_key)
    headers = {"Accept": "application/json"}

#These params are key as it gives very detailed info
    #About the last time it was updated and who updated it
    params = {'expand':'history.lastUpdated'}

response = requests.request("GET",url,headers=headers,auth=auth, params=params)
    data = response.json()
    return data

if __name__ == '__main__':
    response = get_conf_update()
    data = json.dumps(response,  indent=4, sort_keys=True)
    with open('updates.json', 'w') as f:
        f.write(data)
Here's a screenshot of the data I got back.
I had to collapse a lot of blocks and blur out some info but it should give you an idea of the kind of data I'm receiving.
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 25, 2022

Thanks for taking the time to tell us how you did this, roovy!

This alternate option might be of use to other users who locate this question in future!

Ste

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events