Where are the servers located and who owns the building?

Steve Abrahall March 29, 2022

We are thinking about moving to cloud, this brings up lots of questions.
This news  item I found interesting (link below)   - it brings up the issue of due diligence.

Do you own the servers ?

do you own the building?

Where is the building and servers located (a while ago it was just in the US).

Do you own the right to access it?

What other business interests / individuals are involved in, own parts of Atlassian?
Answers and thoughts on the above appreciated.

www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-16/global-switch-deal-defence-data-security-files/13149592

1 answer

2 votes
Srinatha T
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 29, 2022

Hi @Steve Abrahall ,

Welcome to Atlassian community. 

You can go through the below web page which has answers and FAQ's regarding the cloud infrastructure. 

Cloud hosting infrastructure 

It should answer your questions. If you need any further information , let me know. I will try finding out some one from cloud to answer your question. 

Have a good day.!

Thanks,

Srinath T

Steve Abrahall March 31, 2022

That was useful information, but who owns the building is something that is also worth knowing. I could not find anything in the above mentioned documentation about that. 

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2022

Hi @Steve Abrahall 

It might be worth discussing your specific scenario with Atlassian Support or the Cloud Migration Team, as some of this can depend on your location and needs.

I think it's also worthwhile calling out...

• Data Residency: This help page details what AWS regions can be used for data residency, and what is included in that.
  • AWS: Given it is Amazon Web Services, I assume the physical location is in one of Amazon's buildings (either owned or leased). But Support might be able to be more specific on that :)

Ste

Like Srinatha T likes this
Steve Abrahall April 3, 2022

It's situations like this that I'm concerned about. 

"Questions have been raised over the fact that the American cloud provider Amazon Web Services, which was given a Federal Government contract to store data collected by the government's COVIDSafe app, is using a data centre in Sydney which is fully owned by a Chinese company."

https://itwire.com/government-tech-news/government-tech-policy/covidsafe-app-aws-using-chinese-owned-data-centre-in-sydney,-says-husic.html

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 3, 2022

Hi @Steve Abrahall 

As I said above, reaching out to Support or the Migration team is probably a next best step.

Assuming you are on Server now - an alternative is to migrate to Data Center, which is still self-managed? See more information here: https://www.atlassian.com/enterprise/data-center

Ste

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events