What are the considerations when consolidating multiple projects into a new project?

Marianne Lee _Nagarro_ September 20, 2019

Hi!

My team needs to consolidate multiple Jira Cloud classic projects into a new project (on the same instance).  We plan to do this using the bulk move function, and I understand that the references to the old issue keys (e.g. in issue links and comments) will redirect the user to the new issue keys. 

Other than mapping the issues types, custom fields, workflows, status, user permissions, are there any other configurations we need to consider?

Is it possible to delete the old projects after all the issues have been moved over to the the new project?  Will the reference to the old issue keys be retained after the old projects are deleted?

I'm wondering what is the impact to the old issue keys used in:

• Bitbucket Cloud
  • JQLs (in filters and kanban/scrum boards)
  • Confluence Cloud pages (and macros)

Appreciate your advice and suggestions.

Thanks and regards,

Marianne

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Marianne Lee _Nagarro_ September 23, 2019

I shall attempt to answer my own question. :-)

My colleague and I did some tests in a cloud instance with Jira, Confluence and Bitbucket. We observed the following after moving issues to another project and deleted the old project:

Used a saved filter which queries issues from several different projects.

A) In Jira Cloud

• Dashboards gadgets worked only with the saved filter but not for the old projects
  • Issues mentioned in comments display the new issue keys after issues are moved
  • Attachments in an issue remain unchanged
  • Issue search works for old issue key (new issue key is displayed in the search result)

Did not work

• Saved filter with issue key(s) used in JQL did not work

B) In Confluence Cloud (with randomly picked macros)

• New issue key is automatically displayed in the Confluence page where it is mentioned
  • Displaying a saved filter in Confuence (using copy & paste URL of filter) works fine
  • ‘Jira Issues Calendar’ Macro using a saved filter works fine

Did not work

• ‘Jira Road Map’ Macro for the old project did not work
  • JIRA Issue/Filter used with specific issue key does not work

C) In Bitbucket Cloud

Only within Jira, the new issue keys are displayed when viewing

• branch
  • commit
  • pull-request

Bitbucket continues to display the old issue keys with hyperlinks after the issues are moved.  These are then redirected to the correct new issue keys.  However when the old project is deleted, the old issue keys became plain text, the hyperlinks are lost.

Considerations when moving issues to another project, and when deleting a project

• Re-locate (move) the scrum and kanban boards to another project as well BEFORE deletion.
  • Create the same (or similar) components and versions in the destination project.
  • Ensure that the issue types, screens (fields), workflows (statuses), priorities are available in the destination project, for mapping during the bulk move of the issues.
  • Ensure the right permission schemes, notification schemes, and/or issue security configurations are set up in the destination project.

• Audit dashboards, saved filters, any automation or integration scripts which refer to projects or hard-coded issue keys.
  • Confluence pages with macros which refers to projects or hard-coded issue keys

Not sure if I've missed out anything else. Comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Marianne Lee _Nagarro_ September 23, 2019
Like Vickey Palzor Lepcha likes this
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2019

That is some comprehensive testing result there.

Thank you Marianne - you seem to have answered more than what we were expecting. You rock.

0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2019

Interesting question - I'd love to see someone reply this.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events