Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restricted Personal space - user cannot access unrestricted page

Eric Hong February 4, 2020

I have a personal space for all my notes, etc, which no one else has access to.

However, I sometimes want to share a page (ie. meeting notes) to an individual. I am able to share, but the user is not able to access the page, which is unrestricted.

I also don't want to open up view permission to my space since it's personal.

Thanks!

2 answers

2 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Darryl St_ Pierre
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2020

Hi @Eric Hong ,

@Victor Mutambuki [Mumo Systems] 's response above is one solution, however keep in mind that if there is anything on your Home page that is personal (or displays document names that you do not want others to see), it will not work. Another consideration to this approach is that if you have a lot of pages, or want to do a lot of sharing you will constantly be managing permissions. It is difficult to manage any space where you have per-page permission security.

If your needs and amount of content are simple, Victor's approach will work, otherwise I would recommend a different approach:

• Make your overall space view-only. Keep your shareable content housed off of the home page.
  • Create a private page underneath to which only you have access. Keep everything "personal" below it. All of that content by default will inherit the parent page's (Private) permissions.

Confluence is primarily intended to be a place to share, and is designed that way. Trying to maintain a balance of personal/public content within a space is possible but can get complex and messy if you let it.

I hope this helps. If you do find my answer useful, please consider marking it Accepted. This will assist others with the same or similar questions, and will help me become a more trusted source in the Community.

Darryl

Eric Hong February 5, 2020

Thank you Darryl!

Ian Mitchell February 5, 2020

Good response Darryl!!

Like Darryl St_ Pierre likes this
Darryl St_ Pierre
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2020

Thank you @Ian Mitchell ! I appreciate the feedback, as I'm trying to become a more helpful resource in the Community.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Victor Mutambuki
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2020

Eric

There are 2 steps that will allow you to achieve this.

1. Give user only View permission in your space.
2. In the pages that you want to share, restrict access by giving the same user CAN VIEW page using page restriction permission. 

NB: Have restrictions on all your pages if you do give some users VIEW ONLY permission in your space permission.

Victor

Eric Hong February 5, 2020

Thank you Victor!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events