Pictures not shown on confluence page in read mode with microsoft edge

Sebastian Spitzer September 29, 2023

Hello community,

we have the same problem, see pictures/attachments below... 

• ...but in principle for all Confluence page types (not just blogs),
  • ...and not for all users either
  • ...but apparently only with Microsoft Edge, because this worked for different users in Mozilla Firefox.

We therefore estimate that it may be an individual browser setting in Microsoft Edge that is causing the problem.
Unfortunately, we cannot identify and solve it ourselves with our “onboard resources” (experience/know-how).

Problem: pictures not shown on confluence page in read mode with microsoft edge.

pictures non shown on confluence page in read mode with microsoft edge.png

Non Problem: ...but pictures are shown on confluence page in edit mode with microsoft edge.

but pictures shown on confluence page in eddit mode with microsoft edge.png

Clearing the browser cache didn't help, the problem still persists.

--- 

Dear Community & Atlassian Support, please help us!

We can offer to look at the messages (errors) together (remotely) in the Microsoft Edge developer tool. Asking for an answer.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Sebastian Spitzer November 22, 2023

I have found the or a solution.
It has to do with third-party cookies.
My organization's security policy for Microsoft Edge generally disallows third-party cookies.
However, there is an exception option (white list) for specifically allowing the Atlassian URL and including third-party cookies on this URL.

Solution:

• edge://settings/content/cookies
  • White list cookies for "https://[*.]atlassian.net"
    including "Includes third-party cookies on this website"
  • Clear browser cache.
  • Close browser and restart.
  • Revisit URL.

Sustainable solution:

Now this white list entry for "https://[*.]atlassian.net" must be added to the policy by a global administrator of the organization and rolled out to all employees so that the functionality is permanent and sustainable for all Atlassian users in the Organization is guaranteed with Microsoft Edge.

I also reported this to Atlassian Support via Atlassian Issue JST-932644. 

Sebastian Spitzer November 22, 2023

Looking at the scope of this solution, I can very well imagine that this solution approach, multiplied, could be a solution approach for many other problem reports.

It is obvious that “third-party providers” play an important role here and (unfortunately) they are defined by cookies.

Therefore, the solution approach here has a relative and potential impact.

I ask everyone involved, especially at Atlassian, to take this into account.

For the sake of sustainability and with greetings in advance,
Yours, Sebastian Spitzer

Rodrigo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 23, 2023

Thanks for sharing this update!

I got used to checking the privacy settings, and blocking of third-party apps, but didn't think about the cookies. Saving this one in my troubleshooting repertoire. 

Best
Rodrigo

Like Sebastian Spitzer likes this
Sebastian Spitzer November 23, 2023

You're welcome!

1 vote
Tansu Akdeniz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2023

Hi @Sebastian Spitzer 

It should be better to take a look at this Browser Troubleshooting Guide first.

If problem persists, you could create a ticket to Atlassian via http://support.atlassian.com.

0 votes
Rodrigo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2023

Good day @Sebastian Spitzer,

When I encounter errors with Edge the first thing that I check are the updates and Security & Privacy Settings.

Edge has multiple security settings, perhaps you can review its settings in detail? (my apologies as I forgot the exact names, I use Chrome)

• Does it happen in incognito mode?
  • Version (Updating helps; there could be a new Content Security Policy)
    • Settings: Tracking Prevention (switch to Basic instead of Strict)
    • Disable potentially unwanted apps -> Turn off

Lastly, you can review if there are other network errors affecting this browser; right-click and "inspect," then switch tabs to "Network" and "Console." Here, lots of info will appear, but if you search for errors (red entries), it could give an idea on where to dig next.

• "Refused to connect..."
  • "CDN blocked..."
  • "Blocked by CSP..."

Good luck!
Rodrigo

Sebastian Spitzer November 3, 2023

Hi @Rodrigo ,

thanks for your advice, but the problem is not global with Edge, but only on one side specifically.

I would therefore exclude the security settings in Edge because images are displayed on other pages.

But the debugging tip is a good one!

I used Settings > More Tools > Development Tools (ctrl+shit+i)
and then create and download a protocol (HAR file) using “Network” + “Keep Protocol” + “Browser Refresh” (F5).

I will send this to Atlassian Support. Unfortunately, I can't fully interpret it myself.
Might be worth it, there are 27 errors on the page according to the log.

I will send you feedback about the analysis result or the solution from Atlassian Support as soon as it is available.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events