Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pasting table from Excel turns numbers into "numbered list"

Robin Davis December 3, 2019

Hi all,

I've not had a problem with this before (even last week) so not sure if there has been any Confluence update recently that may have introduced the bug but, when I paste a table from Excel into a Confluence page, Confluence tries to be "clever" and think that my numbers are a "numbered list", overwriting my numbers :-o!

E.g. if I had Excel numbers in separate cells of (with bullets here just being simple representation for this question, not what is in the Excel cells):

the Confluence cells come out like

with the "1." being the Confluence "numbered list" part. I.e. Confluence is totally overwriting the integral part of my numbers with the numbered list and obviously each cell starting a new numbered list.

This is now driving me potty 🤪.

UPDATES:

• If I have a table with 55.0 , 44.0 , 33.0 (i.e. multiplied by 10 and formatted to include 1 decimal place), the "numbered list" problem does not happen. So it looks like Confluence is trying to be clever if it spots a single integer followed by a dot.
  • Similarly, if I have 5, 4, 3 (i.e. the single-digit integer without the decimal ".0"), the problem also doesn't occur.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 4, 2019

Hello Robin,

Thank you for reporting this! I was able to replicate in Confluence and Jira new issue view as well. It turns out it's not only affected by pasting from Excel:

• CONFCLOUD-68744 Pasting single digit decimal numbers in new editor results in numbered list replacing the first digit
  • JRACLOUD-73495 Pasting single digit decimal numbers in new issue results in numbered list replacing the first digit

This is the first I've seen this, so right now we'll start gathering data on this. Please click This affects my team and you'll automatically be added to the list of watchers to receive updates in the future.

Let me know if you have any questions about that.

Thank you!

Regards,

Shannon

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 4, 2019

Robin,

I discovered that if I paste the values into a code snippet, it will retain the values. You'll lose the grid, but you can still display it like this:

CleanShot 2019-12-04 at 14.15.27.png

It's not great, but it will enable you to at least preserve the data in Confluence.

Regards,

Shannon

Like • Doug Martin likes this
Robin Davis December 4, 2019

Many thanks, Shannon....for proving that I am not going potty, and verifying that it is a bug :-).

I have clicked on the This affects my team links so I get notified when it is fixed.

Like • Shannon S likes this
Robin Davis December 4, 2019

Ah, sorry, didn't see your possible workaround re code snippet. Yeah, that wouldn't work for me because the tables I was pasting into Confluence from Excel had background colour formatting too (e.g. Conditional Formatting 3-Colour Scales).
Although you can't change the background colour formatting natively in Confluence (that I have found anyway), I have found that, if I paste in from Excel, that background colour gets retained.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
December 5, 2019

Hi Robin,

I'm sorry that you won't be able to use the workaround of the code snippet. Could you display the Excel file directly on the page until it's resolved? 

By the way - I reported this to the development team, and I believe they are currently triaging this.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events