No option to open external links in a new tab/window

Roger Jamieson February 28, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Links

My Confluence version: 6.0.0

Why is there no support for allowing external links to open in a new tab or window in Confluence Cloud?

This seems like such a basic request and I've tried suggestions in a few articles but they all seem to be geared towards the server-based versions of Confluence.

Am I missing something?

4 answers

0 votes
Carlos Gomez November 29, 2017
0 votes
Debbie Lefkowitz September 13, 2016
  1. Cannot add basic create issue button in confluence page 
  2. Cannot open links in new tab window
  3. Cannot use Confluence - moving on.

Honestly not sure why you guys launched this tool, it's not ready for prime time. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2016

I can do all of those things, so I'm not sure where you are stuck.

1.  Ok, you can't do it as a button on Cloud.  I think.  As mostly a "server" user, I can do it with a simple user macro, but those aren't available to Cloud.  But, highlighting lines and using "create JIRA issues from this selection" works on Cloud and Server, so it's not that far away
  2. Have you tried right-click-T ?
  3. Mmm, you'll probably struggle with other software as well then
Debbie Lefkowitz September 18, 2016

It's not offered in Cloud functionality yet.  Cloud is in many ways beta while we wait for the third party folks to update their add-ons.  It's not doable, not a lack of understanding on my part, wish it was.

That and the inability to open links in a new window are the most annoying, but not only annoying issues in Confluence Cloud.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2016

Sorry, what isn't "offered in Cloud"?  Again, no, there's no "button to create", I know that, but Cloud had "highlight and create" before Server Confluence did and you've always been able to use right-click-T as well.

Debbie Lefkowitz September 18, 2016

I want to add the JIRA create button to a Confluence screen so that non-technical team members can easily add new tickets to JIRA.  I don't want right click T as that assume that the features exist.

Really, really basic.  I can copy a link for a filtered JIRA list into confluence, but there is not way to add the Create New Issue Button or to create a custom link that opens a new ticket in a specific JIRA project.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2016

Right-click-T is for "open in new tab/window", pretty standard in browsers.  Remember that there's a very good reason that you don't do it by default for most links - it should be used very rarely, or your users will rapidly come to hate the system.

You can embed any link you want in a Confluence page, including ones with a target="_blank" which will pull up a new tab, and you can pre-populate JIRA issues with some simple tricks.  What you can't do is wrap it into a simple user macro on Cloud (you don't have access to those on Cloud, only server).  I'd also recommend taking a look at the JIRA macros in Confluence, as well as the JIRA issue collector functions, they might help you with this as well.

Jed Walker January 2, 2017

Now the latest update has taken away the Browser right-click in favor of a custom right-click that doesn't have "open in new tab". this is incredibly annoying and adds a couple extra clicks to do this! Please add "open in new tab" to the custom right-click menu

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 2, 2017

Ok, I'd raise that as a bug with Atlassian support as it sounds like they've decided to implement their own (broken) right-click menus.

0 votes
Chi Nguyen March 27, 2016

Hi Atlassian,

We want all links to open in a new tab, window. Please support for us.
My Confluence 6.0.0-OD-2016.12.2-1113.

Thanks so much,

0 votes
Dan Silk March 21, 2016

I would really love it if someone from Atlassian would help with his. At least make it configurable!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events