Need to use a special character

Deb November 8, 2019

I need to write a name that uses accents (original name is in French). I have seen the instructions. Go to Insert, then to Symbol, and a pop-up should let me choose the special character. 

But "Symbol" is not listed under the "Insert" menu. So is there more than one "Insert" menu, and if so, where is the one I need to get to the "Symbol" so I can click on it to get the pop-up? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sharon Helms
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2019

Hi Deb, 

It sounds like you have the "new editor" in Confluence, where symbols are no longer offered. The instructions you're reading about the Symbol menu refer to the "legacy editor". 

You can still include accents and symbols, though -- by using the features in your native OS. In this post about the new Confluence editor roadmap, it's noted that there are no current plans to reinstate Symbols since "symbols natively available through your OS are more comprehensive"

If you're a macOS user, here's an article from Apple that includes info on how to type accented characters.

Here's another Atlassian article that you might find useful that outlines the changes in the new Confluence editor.

I hope this helps! 

Sharon

Deb November 8, 2019

Ah, I didn't think that the new editor would change this functionality.  Thanks! 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events