Image Effects are not available in new Confluence Cloud editing experience

McG December 11, 2019

In Atlassian's 2019-12-06 blog post detailing the changes to the editing experience, all of the advertised features are available, with one exception.

In the "Image Effects" section, they allude to the ability to set text wrapping:

Confluence_NewEditor_ImageToolbar.png

However in my editor, those text-wrapping controls are missing:

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 8.36.41 AM.png

Any feedback on how I might address this?  At the moment, all images I insert will be centered, which looks stupid on large monitors (even with the default narrow layout).

2 answers

0 votes
Lionel Beaugé March 7, 2021

Before in Confluence, when I was inserting an image in a page a menu for "image effect" was proposed.

Now it is not proposed nor available anymore in Confluence Cloud.

Before

contextual-menu-for-image-effect-000.PNG

contextual-menu-for-image-effect-001.PNG

Now, with Confluence in the cloud:

example-of-insertion-of-Atlassian-image-000.PNG

Why ?

0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 13, 2019

Hello there, @McG ! Great to have you collaborating here.

I see how image alignment can be important for good documentation visualization and how it affects the creation of new content. With this in mind, I tried to replicate this issue and was ultimately unable to. This is the environment where I tried:

• Google Chrome version 79.0.3945.79 64-bit
  • Windows 10 version 1903

This is what I see when I try to align an image:

.JPG image

JPGImage.jpg

.PNG image

PNGImage.jpg

With these results in mind, I would like to understand a little more about your environment. Here is a list of questions for clarification:

1. What browser are you using?
  2. Which operating system are you using?
  3. Is this present in all pages which contain images?
  4. Is this happening with any image?
  5. Is this happening if you create a new page with nothing but an image?

We could try to rule out browser issues by trying another browser and even incognito/private mode of the current one.

Let us hear from you. Looking forward to your reply!

McG December 16, 2019

@Diego Thanks for the reply!  Here are my responses:

• What browser are you using? Either Safari 13.0.4 or Chrome 78.0.3904.108
  • Which operating system are you using? macOS Mojave 10.14.6
  • Is this present in all pages which contain images? Yes
  • Is this happening with any image? Yes
  • Is this happening if you create a new page with nothing but an image? Ooo...if I do this, I see the controls!

After a bit of experimentation, it seems to be an issue when using the Page Layout feature — when going multi-column, if the image is within one of the columns, I only get the delete option; otherwise I see the controls:

Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 8.39.00 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-12-16 at 8.38.58 AM.png

Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 16, 2019

Hello there again, @McG!

I got to replicate this issue locally, no matter what browser I used. With this in mind, I was able to come up with a workaround for this situation. It is Lest Than Ideal, But Works.

So, here is what we want to do to align our images:

1. Create a new page
  2. Insert the layouts
  3. Insert the images you are going to use
  4. Use CMD+A or CTRL+A (this depends on Operating System being used) to select everything inside the editor
  5. Now, at the top toolbar select the Text Alignment tool
  6. Select the desired alignment
  7. You can now type away your text!

There is a reason as to why I recommended using CTRL+A/CMD+A instead of the mouse selection. I was able to select the rightmost image, but not the left one. Selecting everything overcomes this block.

Also, I created this bug report here:

I strongly recommend that you share your opinion and experience regarding this situation there. Feedback is what drives Atlassian towards a better tool. Everyone’s feedback is welcome!

Let me hear from you!

Like McG likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events