I want to e-mail a link to the middle of a Confluence page

Michael Staton September 29, 2023

Assume I have access to Confluence and the recipient of my e-mail has access to Confluence.  Also assume I don't have edit rights to the Confluence page.  Assume the Confluence page is very long, 10 screens.

Is there a way to share a link through e-mail to this page, to a section in the middle of this page.  I want users to be able to send each other information and reference the middle section of a very long page.

If the answer is no, then is there a way to setup some links throughout a Confluence page that a user can subsequently grab/copy and send to another user in e-mail.  I have not been able to figure out a way to even do that. 

3 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2023

Hi @Michael Staton , if you are using cloud (your url will be xxx.atlassian.net) you can do this using Anchor links, see this article - insert-links-and-anchors . This will require edit capabilities. The format of the anchor url I use is as follows

https://myplace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/myspace/overview#myanchor

you will want to replace the bold text with your specifics. Note that when you test this, please wait several seconds before the page fully renders and locate your anchor. When you have a lot of data on a single page, it can take a bit of time. you could also consider using headings and TOC. Then copy the specific TOC entry.

Michael Staton October 2, 2023

I do have a TOC in my page and sending a link from a TOC entry appears to work. 

When I insert an anchor and update the document, the anchor is not visible to a user.  I tried inserting an anchor and then a link to the anchor right next to it.  That worked.  Remember I want users without edit privileges to be able to send links to other users.  The link needs to be visible to a user with only read privileges. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2023

So is your plane to use TOC? Ultimately someone with edit permissions is required to set up these anchors or TOC. There is no other way as far as I know.

Michael Staton October 3, 2023

I need to review the options with management to get a decision on how they want pages built.  I do have edit permissions and can setup a TOC or build out the anchors. 

0 votes
Stavros_Rougas_EasyApps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 5, 2023

Step 1: hover over any heading

A link icon will appear to the right text.

Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 16.41.33.png

Step 2: click on link icon

Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 16.43.08.png

Step 3: paste the URL somewhere

The URL will bring the user to that exact heading on the page.

Michael Staton October 6, 2023

Looks great but I simply do not get the links when I hover over the headings.  What I am using is Confluence as installed at a corporate site.  I think it is a basic version so perhaps I do not have this feature. 

Stavros_Rougas_EasyApps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 6, 2023

@Michael Statonmessage your system admin with a link to this page and ask to get permission.

0 votes
Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2023

@Michael Staton Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

While viewing the page, you can hover at the end of any heading to see a link icon and tooltip to Copy link to heading. Click the icon to copy the link, which you can then paste into an email.

For details, scroll down to the Headings section on this page: https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/insert-links-and-anchors/ 

Michael Staton October 3, 2023

I tried hovering over headings in and out of edit mode but never saw a link icon.  I confirmed the text I was hovering over was "Heading 1" or "Heading 2".  I went to the link you provided which also indicated I should see  a link icon but one never appears.  It would be nice to be able to hover over a heading and get a link that could be included in an e-mail.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events