Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to wrap text & resize cell height when exporting tables to PDF?

Kyle Caltrider October 24, 2019

I've checked around other answers here and nothing seems to quite be working. I've fiddled with overflow-wrap, white-space, and word-wrap to no avail.

Our documents have table cells containing a fair amount of text. When viewing the table in Confluence, the text wraps and a new line begins upon hitting the edge of a cell. When exported to PDF however, no line break is added. The text either overflows into the next cell, or is clipped if it overflows the table.

Here is the PDF stylesheet rules I'm currently using:

table {
page-break-inside: auto !important;
width: 100% !important;
table-layout: fixed !important;
}
tr {
page-break-inside: avoid!important;
page-break-after: auto!important;
min-height: 3em;
}
p {
white-space: pre;
}

The width and page-break rules are there because if a table ran over the end of a page it was shrinking the entire table to a minuscule size to fit. The table-layout rule keeps the user adjusted column widths respected.

Examples of the problem:

2019-10-24_13-11-18.png2019-10-24_13-09-50.png

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

1 answer

0 votes
Herve Frydlender
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 25, 2019

Hi,

This is what I'm using to get "nice" table export in PDF : 

/* Fix default behavior on table's column width */
table
{
table-layout: auto !important;
width: auto !important;
word-wrap: normal;
}

The word-wrap property is the one that changes everything for me.

Hope this helps

Kyle Caltrider October 30, 2019

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the help.

Unfortunately that's not doing anything perceivable. I tried using word-wrap (and adding `!important`) which didn't work. I then tried matching all your rules and it just broke the formatting further.

Herve Frydlender
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2019

Strange :(

Here is an example of what I get :

Capture.PNG

Kyle Caltrider October 31, 2019

Yeah on our end it stops respecting the right hand page margin for the entire table and overflows. It still doesn't wrap any text.

2019-10-31_11-33-26.png

It was actually the <p> white-space rule that was screwing it up. Changing it to "pre-wrap" preserves the wrapping of text in tables as well as any intentional white space placed in the document (the latter being why it was there to begin with). Table width definitely needs to be set to 100% or the tables overflow the page however. Table layout set to fixed was required for us to preserve user sizing on the tables (for form templates).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events