Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a button to open another page?

Robert Levine January 21, 2020

I'm creating a Knowledge Base in Confluence, and would like my "Home" page to have a few headings and then each heading would have a button beneath it that, when clicked, would open another page that would have a table of contents and links to other help files.

I've done the basic page layout, but I cannot seem to create the actual "button" that would drive the user to the relevant page.

Can someone explain how to create a simple button?

6 answers

2 votes
Lenin Raj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 21, 2020

Hi @Robert Levine 

Adding a 'button' may not be possible (I looked at the Macros list and couldn't find a Button macro) but you can add a regular 'Link' that users can click to go to another page. Is that an acceptable alternative for you?

Robert Levine January 22, 2020

I know how to create a link, but a button looks more professional.  It's certainly doable, since the Atlassian Help site has buttons :)

1 vote
Julian Governale
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2020

It is frustrating that the only button feature is for creating pages from templates.  What I did to get a similar feeling as a button was the following.  This is not a button so not a perfect solution for you and it only works if your links are to pages in confluence. 

1. Edit the page
  2. Add a layout selection (I chose the 2 section layout) Select the 3 section layout for smaller card display
  3. Add a 1x1 table (no heading) into one of layout sections
  4. Add a background color to  table cell
  5. Add the confluence page Link to the table cell
  6. Edit the link to display as a card

It fills the table and shows the page link as a card instead of a link with a color background that looks more like a boarder.  

PageLink-CardDisplay-inTable.jpg

Sylvain Rioux July 9, 2021

That was helpful thanks Julian , I now use this to create a false button to switch between French & English language in my documentation pages !

Like Andréa Aline de Faria likes this
1 vote
Thomas Øhrbom January 22, 2020

I can think of a couple of ways to do something similar to this:

1. Use the Children Display macro on your main page. You can set this up to display the titles (and excerpts) from sub-pages in various ways.
  2. Use the Expand macro to expand show contents from subpages using Include Page macro inside each Expand macro, or simply have page links to the sub-pages inside the Expand macros. 
0 votes
englund.david February 23, 2023

Here's a nice button making tool at "Da Button Factory" Button Generator tool. I've used it to make a number of buttons on our site. Enjoy! :)

Butons.jpg

0 votes
Sólrún Ásta Björnsdóttir August 15, 2022

If you want a custom button I recommend you create the button and save the button as a image. Then adding a link to that image to redirect you to a new location using the add link option. 

Have not found another way to do this without a add-on. 

Screenshot 2022-08-15 143603.png

0 votes
Nicholas Wade January 14, 2022

Don't want to sound dumb (I'm just starting with Confluence) but surely, you could just use PowerPoint or similar to create buttons and insert links accordingly?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events