How do I give a user Confluence System Admin permissions and not Jira admin permissions

Jason Huntowski July 25, 2018

Hello! I am a long time veteran with the Atlassian tool-set when run on an on-premise server. However, I am new to cloud. With the new "administration" console that manages all user and group permissions, I am having some trouble assigning permissions for a user to do some certain stuff.

Is it possible to allow a user access to manage users and groups for Confluence, without allowing them access or occupying a license for the Jira functions?

In essence, I have a Jira admin and a Confluence admin. I want each one to manage groups and users for their respective applications. However, when I add either one to the "site admin" group or the "jira admin" or "confluence admin" group, I noticed that they then occupy a license for the opposite application and I do not want to waste my licenses like that.

In server, it was easy as we did not run crowd and the user and group lists were being managed by the respective application. It seems like there is no way to replicate this setup in the cloud version?

Thanks in advance for any help!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 25, 2018

Hi Jason,

Welcome to Cloud!

To keep admins from administering the whole Cloud instance, don't add them to the site-admins group (Grants access to all applications, their administration features and Site administration, which includes managing users and bills) or the administrators group (Grants access to all applications and their administration features (excluding Site administration))

To give them the permissions they do need to administer their respective applications, please see this for Jira: Manage group access to applications and this for Confluence: Global Permissions Overview

Thanks,

Ann

Jason Huntowski July 30, 2018

Ann,

Thank you so much for the answer. I do have things setup this way and I think the confusion came from my user who was unfamiliar with the cloud solution as well. So, what I have gained from this is that Users and Groups can only be administered from the site administration and not each individual application? In order for any user to gain access to the site administrator they must obtain a license for each of the owned applications? Are these correct assumptions?

Thanks,

Jason

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events