Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I edit placeholder text in a template?

Paul Redmond November 21, 2019

I am creating a template for use in my confluence cloud. I am using placeholder text to provide a description of what the user needs to enter in the relevant sections.

Once I have added the placeholder text to the template, I can't seem to edit it. I can only completely delete the entire placeholder text element and create a new one.

Am I doing missing something here or is this a known bug/limitation?

BTW, I have tried in both Chrome and Firefox on windows.

4 answers

7 votes
Jorge_Reyes April 17, 2020

Not being able to edit placehoders I've created is very annoying!

Dan Didier June 1, 2020

I have the same issue. using templates with many placeholder text boxes but cannot edit it. Only delete and start over...

Like # people like this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 2, 2021

Hi Eric, 

Thank you for linking back to this earlier question!

I'll include the Jira ticket here for visibility since many people have encountered the same issue.

• CONFCLOUD-67333 Placeholder text on templates created with the new editor cannot be selected nor edited

Make sure to click Vote on this issue if you want to be on the watchers' list. 

Thanks again, and take care!

Shannon

0 votes
Tom Cheng March 9, 2023

Another workaround: Right-click on the placeholder text and click "Inspect' from the pop-up menu. This brings up the HTML code in the browser's developer console. You can double-click the placeholder text here, copy it, and paste it into a new placeholder element to edit.

Screenshot 2023-03-09 at 12.09.15 PM.png

Bryan Severson April 5, 2024

As an added tip, you can edit the text right in the inspector window. This is actually an improved editor over the placeholder editor, which looses your entire text if you happen to click away from it. 

Once you have what you want, copy the text and close the inspector. This gives you the advantage of actually seeing what your placeholder text will look like, as your edit will actually show in confluence upon closing the inspector. Be forewarned however, the edit won't actually take when you save/update. You still need to destroy the old placeholder and paste your edited text into a new placeholder if you're satisfied.

Cheers @Tom Cheng, great suggestion!

0 votes
Jon Ramer February 14, 2022

It seems the placeholder macro may be broken or removed recently.  Typing `/placeholder` doesn't do what it used to.  

0 votes
dominique.lazo-flores September 13, 2021

I will be writing the text somewhere else and then copy/pasting it into the placeholder macro. Has worked for me so far.

Not very elegant though. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events