How can I limit the ability to modify a checkbox on a Confluence page?

Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2020

I tried to create a fillable checklist in confluence. Unfortunately setting the page restrictions so that all can view and only some can edit does not prevent others from modifying the checkboxes. Even view only permission allows someone to check/uncheck the boxes. Is there a way to prevent this?

2 answers

0 votes
Jen October 22, 2020

May I ask what is the goal you're trying to achieve?  We've adapted all sorts of workflows, due to the functional limitations.  Perhaps I could suggest a work around?

Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 22, 2020

Hi Jen,

Thank you for replying. I was trying to use checkboxes where the document creator could check them off and still allow other people to view it while it was in progress but not be able to uncheck items. Setting the permissions to the page to keep others from editing doesn't lock out the checkboxes. Viewers can check or uncheck at any time.

Unfortunately, I am not able to acquire a lot of add-ons to my system nor am I a good enough programmer to build my own.

Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 22, 2020

Jen, I just realized you mentioned workflows in your answer. If there is a way to implement some sort of tie in via Jira workflows to Confluence I'm all ears.

0 votes
Sven Schatter _Lively Apps_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 20, 2020

Hi @Danno,

Unfortunately, Confluence Tasks don't come with any permission system. An< user can check or uncheck them, there's no way to configure this.

Cheers,
Sven

Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 22, 2020

Thanks for answering. I think what I have to do is make the actual checklist totally private to the user who created it and then "publish" a PDF version of it for others to view.

Like Connor Bauman likes this
Xandra Volkmann
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 22, 2024

Dear all, I am facing the same issue you described here. Is there still no possibility in place to permit check or uncheck of the boxes? I am hoping that now (almost 4 years later ;-)) something was implemented to improve this issue?

Thanks

Xandra

Like Steven Liu likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events