Getting an error when I run npm install - to set up Confluence Cloud using Atlassian Connect

Biwords Services September 15, 2018

Hello, 

Iam a real newbie to programming and am trying to develop an app for Confluence Cloud using Atlassian Connect.

Iam following the steps given here:

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/confluence/getting-started/

I am facing an issue with step 4 - 3. as below - while installing npm. 

Install dependencies for the app using npm:

npm install

I ran the command from the command prompt. 

C:\Users\User\confluence-helloworld-addon>npm install

Iam getting the following error. 

> sqlite3@3.1.4 install C:\Users\User\confluence-helloworld-addon\node_modules\sqlite3
> node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build

node-pre-gyp info it worked if it ends with ok
node-pre-gyp verb cli [ 'C:\\Program Files\\nodejs\\node.exe',
node-pre-gyp verb cli 'C:\\Users\\User\\confluence-helloworld-addon\\node_modules\\sqlite3\\node_modules\\node-pre-gyp\\bin\\node-pre-gyp',
node-pre-gyp verb cli 'install',
node-pre-gyp verb cli '--fallback-to-build' ]
node-pre-gyp info using node-pre-gyp@0.6.28
node-pre-gyp info using node@8.12.0 | win32 | x64
node-pre-gyp verb command install []
node-pre-gyp info check checked for "C:\Users\User\confluence-helloworld-addon\node_modules\sqlite3\lib\binding\node-v57-win32-x64\node_sqlite3.node" (not found)
node-pre-gyp http GET https://mapbox-node-binary.s3.amazonaws.com/sqlite3/v3.1.4/node-v57-win32-x64.tar.gz
node-pre-gyp http 403 https://mapbox-node-binary.s3.amazonaws.com/sqlite3/v3.1.4/node-v57-win32-x64.tar.gz
node-pre-gyp ERR! Tried to download: https://mapbox-node-binary.s3.amazonaws.com/sqlite3/v3.1.4/node-v57-win32-x64.tar.gz
node-pre-gyp ERR! Pre-built binaries not found for sqlite3@3.1.4 and node@8.12.0 (node-v57 ABI) (falling back to source compile with node-gyp)
node-pre-gyp http 403 status code downloading tarball https://mapbox-node-binary.s3.amazonaws.com/sqlite3/v3.1.4/node-v57-win32-x64.tar.gz
node-pre-gyp verb command build [ 'rebuild' ]
gyp ERR! configure error
gyp ERR! stack Error: Can't find Python executable "python", you can set the PYTHON env variable.
gyp ERR! stack at PythonFinder.failNoPython (C:\Program Files\nodejs\node_modules\npm\node_modules\node-gyp\lib\configure.js:484:19)
gyp ERR! stack at PythonFinder.<anonymous> (C:\Program Files\nodejs\node_modules\npm\node_modules\node-gyp\lib\configure.js:509:16)
gyp ERR! stack at C:\Program Files\nodejs\node_modules\npm\node_modules\graceful-fs\polyfills.js:284:29
gyp ERR! stack at FSReqWrap.oncomplete (fs.js:152:21)
gyp ERR! System Windows_NT 10.0.17134
gyp ERR! command "C:\\Program Files\\nodejs\\node.exe" "C:\\Program Files\\nodejs\\node_modules\\npm\\node_modules\\node-gyp\\bin\\node-gyp.js" "configure" "--fallback-to-build" "--module=C:\\Users\\User\\confluence-helloworld-addon\\node_modules\\sqlite3\\lib\\binding\\node-v57-win32-x64\\node_sqlite3.node" "--module_name=node_sqlite3" "--module_path=C:\\Users\\User\\confluence-helloworld-addon\\node_modules\\sqlite3\\lib\\binding\\node-v57-win32-x64"
gyp ERR! cwd C:\Users\User\confluence-helloworld-addon\node_modules\sqlite3
gyp ERR! node -v v8.12.0
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v3.8.0
gyp ERR! not ok
node-pre-gyp ERR! build error
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack Error: Failed to execute 'C:\Program Files\nodejs\node.exe C:\Program Files\nodejs\node_modules\npm\node_modules\node-gyp\bin\node-gyp.js configure --fallback-to-build --module=C:\Users\User\confluence-helloworld-addon\node_modules\sqlite3\lib\binding\node-v57-win32-x64\node_sqlite3.node --module_name=node_sqlite3 --module_path=C:\Users\User\confluence-helloworld-addon\node_modules\sqlite3\lib\binding\node-v57-win32-x64' (1)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.<anonymous> (C:\Users\User\confluence-helloworld-addon\node_modules\sqlite3\node_modules\node-pre-gyp\lib\util\compile.js:83:29)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at emitTwo (events.js:126:13)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:214:7)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:915:16)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:209:5)
node-pre-gyp ERR! System Windows_NT 10.0.17134
node-pre-gyp ERR! command "C:\\Program Files\\nodejs\\node.exe" "C:\\Users\\User\\confluence-helloworld-addon\\node_modules\\sqlite3\\node_modules\\node-pre-gyp\\bin\\node-pre-gyp" "install" "--fallback-to-build"
node-pre-gyp ERR! cwd C:\Users\User\confluence-helloworld-addon\node_modules\sqlite3
node-pre-gyp ERR! node -v v8.12.0
node-pre-gyp ERR! node-pre-gyp -v v0.6.28
node-pre-gyp ERR! not ok
Failed to execute 'C:\Program Files\nodejs\node.exe C:\Program Files\nodejs\node_modules\npm\node_modules\node-gyp\bin\node-gyp.js configure --fallback-to-build --module=C:\Users\User\confluence-helloworld-addon\node_modules\sqlite3\lib\binding\node-v57-win32-x64\node_sqlite3.node --module_name=node_sqlite3 --module_path=C:\Users\User\confluence-helloworld-addon\node_modules\sqlite3\lib\binding\node-v57-win32-x64' (1)
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! errno 1
npm ERR! sqlite3@3.1.4 install: `node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build`
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the sqlite3@3.1.4 install script.
npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR! C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\npm-cache\_logs\2018-09-15T06_52_46_420Z-debug.log

Can you please let me know how to fix this?

Regards,

Nuzhath

3 answers

0 votes
Marc Bewernik July 5, 2019

Hi Nuzhath,

I think I faced the same issue. The tutorial states that you need node.js version 4.5.0 while I had the latest stable version installed (12.6.0).

By uninstalling node.js and npm and reinstalling node.js version 4.5.0 this issue was solved. Perhaps that will do the magic for you as well.

Best

Marc

PS: if you want to have several versions of node.js installed at the same time, there is this nvm for windows tool that might be helpful: https://github.com/coreybutler/nvm-windows

0 votes
Biwords Services September 19, 2018

Hi,

Thank you for your response. 

I tried running the command you sent above from a command prompt. 

I got a message stating that I should run this command from Windows Powershell as an admin. 

I opened Powershell and ran the same command. 

I got a friendly message stating to be patient - since it will take a long time. 

But I am seeing the following message

Successfully installed Python 2.7 [1000D [0K [1A [1000D [0K [1A [1000D [0K [1A [1000D [0K---------- Visual Studio Build Tools ----------
Still waiting for installer log file...
------------------- Python --------------------
Successfully installed Python 2.7 [1000D [0K [1A [1000D [0K [1A [1000D [0K [1A [1000D [0K---------- Visual Studio Build Tools ----------

From which directory should I run this command.. I tried from the directory where i copied the confluence files - but that gave an error too.. 

Like I said, Iam an absolute newbie to this and I want to learn how to create a plugin. 

Thanks

Nuzhath

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 24, 2018

Hi Nuzhath,

Getting all the tools in place to start learning and building can be a challenge sometime!

It definitely looks like your system is stuck on the prerequisites. The package it's not getting past is from https://www.npmjs.com/package/windows-build-tools - I'm not sure if trying to ask for help from the Node maintainer/community is the right thing to do here. It seems to be getting stuck before we get to the Atlassian software.

As I don't have a Visual Studio-less system to test on, my suggestion might be seeing if you have a computer nearby that can run Ubuntu or another Linux distribution. Or you could run it for free on your Windows computer using Virtualbox. That's a whole different learning opportunity if you've only used Windows before. But it certainly seems like Windows (or at least npm/node on Windows) is blocking you from even getting Atlassian's development tools installed.

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 18, 2018

Hey Nuzhath,

I've attempted to reproduce this on a Windows 10 development instance (fresh from Microsoft) but wasn't able to hit the same problem. By searching around a bit on that npm error, it looks like one of the dependencies might need Visual Studio build tools to install correctly. Since the image I tested on had Visual Studio pre-installed, I think that may be something to try looking at.

You can get the Visual Studio build tools through npm directly using this command:

npm install --global --production windows-build-tools

Give that a run and try installing atlas-connect again after that. I recommend restarting your Command Line / Powershell session by closing and restarting the application before trying to install atlas-connect. Let me know what happens!

Cheers,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events