Does anyone know if Atlassian will be allowing Anonymous access to Confluence limited to a domain?

staceyking March 23, 2020

I *think* the answer is no to this right now, based on what I have been reading.  But I want to limit anonymous users to our company domain for our Confluence site.  As long as they have our domain, they should be able to get that read only, viewable access.  If they are not on our domain - we dont want anyone to have viewable access.  

Its my understanding that you can either allow total public view (non domain members can see - so any random dude in the public) or you have to restrict to licensed users.  No in between.

Does anyone know if this is something that will be solved later?  We have Access, but that doesnt seem to really help.....

I was thinking of trying to create a group based on the domain, allowing viewable access to anyone with that domain - but think that might end up increasing our licensed users to more than we are allowed.  Any ideas?

5 answers

1 vote
Hazwan Ariffin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2020

No, but you can work this around. You would need JIRA Service Desk for this and add all your Company domain users as a JIRA Service Desk customer. Then you would need to Give Access to Unlicensed Users from Jira Service Desk. The space then will be accessible to your Company domain users. The downside of this is that you would need JIRA Service Desk and you would need the users to log in.

Hope that helps!

staceyking March 30, 2020

Hazwan - thanks for the suggestion, however that is another cost that I wont be able to justify. :-(

0 votes
omer.peleg
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 23, 2020

Hi,

Was there any progress with this one?

I certainly don't want to open our Confluence to the world nor want to pay for all the people in the organization that just need READONLY access 

Thanks

Omer

0 votes
Hankej April 3, 2020

We just started to use Confluence as well and would really like this feature too.  We don't want the whole world to see our how to articles and would like to just have our Domain users.

0 votes

Hey everyone - it seems that there is some work in progress on this (maybe???) as a potential feature.   https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CLOUD-2636 

I hope this implements soon - as this should be a pretty basic feature....

omer.peleg
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 23, 2020

Hi @staceyking ,

Was the above helpful for you in any way?

Thanks

Omer

andrew.edwards June 5, 2022

The problem I am trying to solve, is that all our staff (who have a standard email domain)  to access selected confluence spaces anonymously (without needing a confluence license).

I was reading about the new IP whitelist for Jira/confluence, but with so many staff working from home, IP addresses seem to change regularly.

Am I missing something, can the IP whitelist feature help with my problem, I don’t think it can work over domains ?

0 votes
Guy March 27, 2020

Stacey

I have the very same requirements!

From on-prems (server edition) deployment, anonymous access means pretty much all people in the company. It allows many users to read content without additional license.

Now for cloud deployment, anonymous access means the whole world, which is way too large!

How can I give a large audience read access without additional cost?

I may try Jira Service Desk, but it over-complicates the whole ACL picture.

Guy, Exactly.... We are pushing through out implementation, but this could be a REAL big problem.  We need people to be able to read the content, but not interact with it - however, we do not want the WORLD to read the content.  

I wonder if this is an enhancement in progress somewhere?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events