Confluence macros need several HTTP requests to work

Jesús Jorge Muñoz October 17, 2018

Hi everyone,

I am debugging a Confluence Cloud add-on and I noticed a behaviour that I don't quite understand.

The add-on has several custom macros. Each one of our pages could contain all or some of them in it. When I see the overall output log, it seems that when accessing a single page, our Confluence instance sends several HTTP requests for each one of the macros (from 2 to 6 requests for each macro in worst cases).

Does this make sense? I personally think it does not. Also I noticed the pages spend so much time to load, could this be related to it?

Thanks in advance!

Jesús

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2018

I would assume that you're talking about a Confluence Cloud app that you or your company has developed yourself?

I also noticed that Confluence tends to send more than one request for each macro on each page load. I haven't figured out the reason either, but you may want to consider caching the request as described on this page:

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/confluence/modules/static-content-macro/

Even if you only set it to cache for 60 seconds, it should help each macro to be called only once.

Jesús Jorge Muñoz November 6, 2018

Hi Stephen,

Yes, you are correct, the add-on is developed by ourselves. 

Thank you very much for your suggestion! I didn't figure out that it was possible to cache content in a Connect add-on. I hope it can be a nice workaround for anyone who may read this post.

I shall now mark your answer as accepted.

Best regards,

Jesús

0 votes
JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2018

Hi,

why are you posting the same question multiple times?!? As you don't give us more information about what addon embedded into what kind of pages, you probably won't get many answers.

JP

Jesús Jorge Muñoz October 17, 2018

Hi Jan,

I apologize for duplicating the question. I was experiencing issues with the Atlassian web page and posted it twice, but it seems I cannot delete one of them.

In the OP I've said the add-on has custom macros. More specifically, they are static content macros. This issue is observed in blank pages as well as in custom-template-based pages.

No matter is the functionality of the macro, the Confluence instance send too much requests to the add-on. I want to know if this behaviour is expected or not.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events